starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Clean Help

Default Power Clean Help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,
    I seem to be having an issue with the upper half of the pull and perhaps leaving the ground too much on the power clean.

iCloud

Wondered if I might be able to get some help correcting this if it’s not a big fix.

Thanks.

that apple viewer doesn't play for me,

i have to download your video

im not downloading anything

i would do youtube or vimmeo

Hey Sean!

To start, let's fix the set-up. You're rolling the bar forward with your shins and dropping your ass too low. Widen the grip another 1-2" on either side , push your knees out and keep the bar in place. This will lead to your hips starting slightly higher which is exactly what we want.

The issue with the upper half is not that you're leaving the ground too much. It's that you're catching the bar in your hands rather than on your shoulders. Do you see where your elbows end up before you drop the bar back down? This is where they need to be when you catch the bar. SLAM into the rack position and catch the bar on the meat of your delts (elbows pointed directly forward). The easiest place to fix this is in your warm-ups. Video yourself starting with the empty bar next time, so you can nip this in the bud early.

Thanks Caleb I’ll give this a go!

it seems to me you need to push with your knees/legs in the first pull while maintaining the back angle.

you seem to keep the knees in a fixed position from the get-go, and just pivot your torso around to get the bar up off the floor.

Sean, how tall are you?

6’2”

The second rep on this warm up seemed to be right but the work sets clearly aren’t.
    The bar seems to want to roll around on the platform which can be a nuisance.
    What would be helpful to think of next time?
    Is the grip too wide?

Power Clean warm up 40kg on Vimeo

Power Clean 60x3x5 on Vimeo

Sean!

This set-up is improved over last time, grip width looks fine. The bar still rolls forward some, but way less than before.

With the warm-up set, you need to finish your jump better. Imagine you're trying to hit your head on the ceiling at the top of the pull.

60 kilos looks a little much given your current technique. Back it off to the point that you can confidently catch the bar on your shoulders with your elbows up (-10-15%), then build back up from there. Once you're more consistent about the jump and rack, you'll need to start speeding up the bottom half of the pull. Remember, on a heavy clean acceleration begins off the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Caleb!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast