starting strength gym

Thread: Disconcerting deadlift despite diligent design--can you please comment on my deadlift

Default Disconcerting deadlift despite diligent design--can you please comment on my deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello. I think I am following the design of the deadlift outlined in the SS book, but I am not sure after looking at it on video. Below are two angles-- one from head on and the other from the side (I know I should do a 45* as well, but hopefully these two give you a sense). Can you please comment on my form? Are my feet too splayed? Any other comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Clyde

YouTube

YouTube

Follow this. You need to work on points 1, 3 and 4

The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time
    1. Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. Your shins should be about one inch from the bar, no more. This places the bar over the mid-foot – the whole foot, not the mid-instep.

2. Take your grip on the bar, leaving your hips up. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

3. Drop your knees forward and out until your shins touch the bar. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

5. Squeeze the bar off the floor and drag it up your legs in contact with your skin/sweats until it locks out at the top. If you have done the above sequence precisely as described, the bar will come off the ground in a perfectly vertical path. All the slack will have come out of the arms and hamstrings in step 4, the bar will not jerk off the ground, and your back will be in good extension. You will perceive that your hips are too high, but if you have completed step 4 correctly, the scapulas, bar, and mid-foot will be in vertical alignment and the pull will be perfect. The pull will seem "shorter" this way.

Your stance is too wide, and there's something weird going on with where you're setting up in relation to the bar. It looks like the bar is forward of midfoot, but your shins also look pretty vertical, which suggests setting up too close. Of course we can't see for sure because you continue to insist on posting terrible form check videos. It's not that you're supposed to post a 45 degree angle as well, it's that it's the only angle you need to post unless specifically asked for another one. We're happy to put in the effort to help out, if you bother to put in the effort to take a proper video. Get the right angle, and post an actual work set. An easy single isn't going to look anything like the fifth rep of a working set, and it's annoying as hell to have to loop your videos over and over again to see enough reps to offer feedback.

What we can see for sure, and which scwot already mentioned, is that you're combining steps 2 and 3. Grab the bar without bending your knees, THEN bring your shins to it.