starting strength gym

Thread: dead lift form check please

Default dead lift form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here it is my valiant effort YouTube

Same feedback as last time, although your gaze is fine now. Except for looking around after the last rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Theimer View Post
    Set-up: Hard to tell with this angle and the black pants, but you may be setting up a little close to the bar. Fix your gaze on the floor 4 meters in front of you.

Timing: On some reps you are extending (unbending/straightening) your knees nearly fully before you pass them, and even re-bending them briefly after that. There should be some further knee-straightening to do after you pass them. Is the bar staying in contact with your legs the WHOLE rep? Again, hard to tell from this angle, but if not, working to keep the bar on your legs as you go around your knees should help with the timing of knee/hip extension. Otherwise, think about opening the hips a little earlier as you stand up.

Keep working!
    Alternate cue: use your legs to press the floor away from the bar.

At the top of the rep, lock out up there for half a second at least. You might be doing this already, but don't let out your air until the bar is on the floor.

thank you very much.should i be adding videos to this thread of keep starting new ones?

These are a bit better but the timing can still be improved. Setup looks ok.

Rather than the floor push cue (it extends knees, which you are already doing too much of too early), I'd have you try squeezing your hamstrings and glutes tight before you pull (this is right out of the blue book, p131). You could also try to think about lifting your chest earlier, before you pass your knees.

Keep working!

Awesome! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Theimer View Post
    ...Rather than the floor push cue (it extends knees, which you are already doing too much of too early), I'd have you try squeezing your hamstrings and glutes tight before you pull (this is right out of the blue book, p131). You could also try to think about lifting your chest earlier, before you pass your knees.

Keep working!
    *contemplates*... I think you're right, I suppose a majority of people can associate that cue too much with a leg press, especially if they'd used that machine before.

More like "use the hips to lever your feet through the floor?" I never connected the ham/glute cue to early knees, thought it was just part of correct general discomfort right before the bar breaks the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Keip View Post
    More like "use the hips to lever your feet through the floor?"
    Yeah for me that one is more confusing still. Another cue I had thought about trying was "stay in your quads" but decided to use the one out of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Keip View Post
    I never connected the ham/glute cue to early knees, thought it was just part of correct general discomfort right before the bar breaks the floor.
    Yes, you're right that the discomfort is a part of the usual step 4, but here that cue is in the context of fixing someone who is extending the knees before they even break the bar off the floor, which gives their back and hips a more-than-necessary share of the load (described starting on page 128 of SSBBT3). Mr.R.R. has a less severe version of that error, but I thought the cue might still work here.

Fun stuff.