starting strength gym

Thread: bench form check

Default bench form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've deloaded twice on my bench lp. I always get to 135lbs but i dont seem to get all the reps, i think just the first time. I think it's because of my form and maybe the increases of 5lbs are too much. I should have hit 135 for this training but i couldn't really move it and mostly, get it out of the rack, so i made my second deload and went for 120 or 121.5. How does my technique look like? And should i start microloading?

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by drunkelheit View Post
    , get it out of the rack,

YouTube
    you are too far forward on the bench, and have a deep arm angle there reaching for the racked bar.
    your eyes should be right under the bar when it's racked.
    try that and see how it feels and post again

i tried to get my eyes closer to the bar and it seems to me that i did, but my arms keep having this weird angle. btw, thanks for your help and happy new year!

If you see the video, i recommend you lower the volume, the quality of the audio sucks (not only that)

YouTube

maybe I said it wrong,
    with the bar in the rack,
    your eyes should be straight down under it,
    right now the bar could fall straight down and miss your head,
    get your eyes under the bar.
    that bench is fixed with the uprights, correct?
    slide your whole body up the bench so your head just rests on what's left of the end of the bench,
    4 to 6 inches up the bench.
    you'll know when you went too far when you hit the rack hooks with the bar benching , , ,

benching feels terrible and i don't feel a lot of chest activation, i guess i just need to start microloading.
    does it look better?

YouTube

i tried to get my eyes closer to the bar and it seems to me that i did, but my arms keep having this weird angle. btw, thanks for your help and happy new year!

If you see the video, i recommend you lower the volume, the quality of the audio sucks (not only that)

YouTube
    Mate - if you biggest problem with the weight is getting it out of the rack, that is not an issue of strength, or even having anything to do with the lift, or your progression. That means you are too forward on the bench, and you either need to slide up the bench so you eyes are directly under the bar before you unrack (as other posted said). or have someone lift for you. Unracking should literally, never, in the entire history of the universe, be the limiting factor in a set.

starting strength coach development program
    benching feels terrible and i don't feel a lot of chest activation, i guess i just need to start microloading.
    does it look better?

YouTube
    You don't need to start micro loading. Not yet. You are not far up enough on the bench. YOu are reaching altheway above your head to unrack it and almost doing a pullover! Slide up until the bar is directly over your eyes.

Anyway, your form looks pretty good. if you are not hitting your reps, you need to eat more. Eating more is always the answer before microloading. 135 is too light to begin microloading.