starting strength gym

Thread: Novice - Back Extension Guidance?

Default Novice - Back Extension Guidance?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Reading ahead in the Practical Programming for Strength Training book, I see that back extensions are added to the workout to take a break from pulling every workout. While back extensions were briefly covered in the blue book, does can anyone recommend any videos that show how they are done in good form and how you add weight to them?

Also, looking at equipment (I am a basement lifter), I notice that there are roman chairs and another variety that puts you at a 45 degree angle. Is one better than the other?

Thanks,

Josh

You can omit back extensions.

Before I knew anything significant about Starting Strength aside from the name, I tried to do a different LP that had back extensions.

Don’t do back extensions. Your back wants to act isometrically together with a hip hinge. My experience is that frequent back extensions are an excellent way for a weaker person to mess up his back, which will have consequences when you need to use it for other things.

I don’t have any experience doing back extensions, but I have heard that same feedback from a number of people. From a Starting Strength perspective, back extensions don’t seem to get the same level of coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by gemini929 View Post
    I don’t have any experience doing back extensions, but I have heard that same feedback from a number of people. From a Starting Strength perspective, back extensions don’t seem to get the same level of coverage.
    Using our definition of "training", back extensions cannot be trained. They are therefore of limited usefulness, especially for a novice lifter.