starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 205 lb Squat - can I keep adding weight?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff LC View Post
    Thank you - so... I just want to clarify - what are you suggesting?
    I am myself need to correct the squat. Just watch Rip's videos oj where he explains.how.to preform the lift, set up for the lift..

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    These look pretty good to me, honestly. Focus on technique during your warmups and you should be fine. Better breathing might help, too. And do you have a belt yet?

This is not what a limit set looks like, trust me - and remember, you still have advanced novice linear progression and a top set with two back offs ahead of you before you’ve truly run out LP. I’d say it’s definitely worth keeping the weight going up.

Your most important job now that it’s starting to feel heavy is to focus on the R part of the SRA cycle. Are you sleeping at least eight hours of good sleep a night? Are you still eating over 4,000 calories a day? A strong guy at your height is going to be over 200 pounds, and you want to get your weight up out ahead of your lifts becoming hard. There’s a lot of focus on technique on this forum, and while that’s important, keep in mind that it’s in the context of strength being the key adaptation we want to drive. That means getting the weights up and recovering from them first and foremost.
    Thanks - i know that i still have a lot of room left on the LP... my question wasn't whether i had hit the limit, but rather, it was, is my form good enough to say that i cleanly cleared those reps and can therefore move on up? I was worried the form was too sloppy to count.

I know its not close to a limit set... but i was just worried about continuing down that road toward a limit set without better form, because when i do get to start doing limit sets, if my form still isn't good, it could be a bad idea, right? Anyway, that was my thought process. Thanks for the notes. I feel better today that my form while not perfect is certainly not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    These look pretty good to me, honestly. Focus on technique during your warmups and you should be fine. Better breathing might help, too. And do you have a belt yet?

This is not what a limit set looks like, trust me - and remember, you still have advanced novice linear progression and a top set with two back offs ahead of you before you’ve truly run out LP. I’d say it’s definitely worth keeping the weight going up.

Your most important job now that it’s starting to feel heavy is to focus on the R part of the SRA cycle. Are you sleeping at least eight hours of good sleep a night? Are you still eating over 4,000 calories a day? A strong guy at your height is going to be over 200 pounds, and you want to get your weight up out ahead of your lifts becoming hard. There’s a lot of focus on technique on this forum, and while that’s important, keep in mind that it’s in the context of strength being the key adaptation we want to drive. That means getting the weights up and recovering from them first and foremost.
    Yes - i am sleeping over 8 hours a night, me and my fiance have started doing lights out at 10, and i wake up between 7 and 8.. sleep has been on point.

Calories, i Don't count, although i do eat 3 very solid meals a day, plus tons of night snacking on fruits and nuts, and an especially large dinner, and then on top of all that, i probably drink about 125 grams of Whey and every 25 gram serving is with 2.5/3 cups of milk - i recon i am adding about 1000 calories a day just of milk and whey to what is already a solid base of eating.

I have only been doing the program strict for 3 weeks and i have gone from 185 to about 192-193.

Anyway, my squats haven't even been feeling like they're getting harder, it almost feels like it's the same difficulty every time.. i think that's a pretty good sign that I'm recovering well, that's why my main concern was technique.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    You could try to consciously think about keeping your knees forward as you drive out of the whole (with proper back angle) and it might work things out instead of thinking about hip drive.
    Yea, the thing about consciously thinking about keeping my knees forward as i drive out of the hole... is that, at least to the way I feel it, that is the essential opposite of thinking of driving up with the hips. So much is made out of focusing on the hip drive, but i feel like, in a simple body weight squat i just did, if i focus on keeping the knees forward, I feel like I'm essentially focusing on the opposite of what needs to happen with my hips. I need to figure out the compromise.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123