starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting shoes--is there anything they're not good for?

Default Lifting shoes--is there anything they're not good for?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. I've received several comments about needing lifting shoes. I have done some research and expect to get some.

Question-- are there any things that lifting shoes are not good for? For example, I know they are great for deadlifts, squats, etc., but in the unlikely event that I do something other than the "big 4 lifts", would it be silly to have lifting shoes on for that purpose? In other words, do people typically carry their lifting shoes and wear them for the big lifts, and then change to sneakers if, for example, they want to do curls (not that anyone would ever want to do curls)? Not that Clyde is vain, but since I always match my workout gloves with my purse, I wanted to ensure I am using the right protocol with my lifting shoes.

Thanks.

Sun's out Guns out! Curls for the girlz! Now that that's out of the way.... lol

Here's a couple of articles related to shoes and gear in general Shoes | Mark Rippetoe, Lifting Apparel Accessories | Niki Sims. They should answer your questions (even the ones you don't have yet!). Basically lift with lifting shoes on for added stability. The first time you squat in a pair of proper lifting shoes (hard sole & mid foot strap) will be a whole new world. Lifting shoes are an investment that will last years if you keep the non lifting wear & tear off of them. Run with running shoes for the added cushion. That added cushion is no good for lifting due to the instability and 'squishiness' introduced. If you're pushing a prowler around there are some crossfit type shoes others have recommended. Don't use your nice lifting shoes for that. Good luck!