starting strength gym

Thread: Does anyone use visualization techniques to help increase the weight lifted?

Default Does anyone use visualization techniques to help increase the weight lifted?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. Other than being a disciple of the SS method, I am also a <gasp> avid golfer. In golf, I use a lot of visualization before hitting shots, and I find that somehow my body is more likely to swing in a certain way to execute the shot if I see the ball landing in a certain place in my mind beforehand.

In lifting, in particular, how critical are visualization techniques and how helpful are they with lifting more weights? I personally find that if I actually think beforehand that something is not heavy, I tend to not have issues lifting it or executing to the best of my ability. I know specifically recently, before a deadlift, immediately before starting the pull, a thought crept in my mind about how heavy it was going to be, and I could not get it off the ground. Then after I reset (and cleared the thought), I had no problem.

What do people do specifically on the visualization front in their technique, or do you mainly think about form and not really anything else?

Just curious. Thanks.

Thinking about form is visualization, obviously. How else would you do it?

I read an article that just thinking about squeezing the right muscle during exercise increased muscle mass significantly faster than just lifting the weight.

But, that was arm curls. No way to individually concentrate on every muscle in the squat. Given correct form, it might help the abs or back or hips or whatever cue you are using.

-->Adam

I try to visualize the bar path sometimes; I believe this is discussed in the book. Another thing I visualize frequently is the moment going up out of the hole, since this is the hardest part and takes the most concentration. It definitely helps to visualize, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    I try to visualize the bar path sometimes; I believe this is discussed in the book. Another thing I visualize frequently is the moment going up out of the hole, since this is the hardest part and takes the most concentration. It definitely helps to visualize, in my experience.
    Its the "Master cue".