starting strength gym

Thread: Still too vertical on the squat or is it getting better? Also, shoe recommendations.

Default Still too vertical on the squat or is it getting better? Also, shoe recommendations.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. I'd be interested in any constructive comments, but was particularly wondering if I am still too vertical on the squat. I also realize the "rule" on videos is 3 sets, but I have two below. If you cannot provide feedback because there are not 3 sets, I understand.

Also before anyone mentions, I am delighted to announce that I found some Do-Win weightlifting shoes on the Rogue website and will most likely order them very soon (although I hate ordering shoes online since I never find ones that fit right). If anyone has any comments on those, I would appreciate it. Link is below. Or if I should consider other shoes, please be specific in your recommendations. Thanks!!

YouTube

YouTube

Shoes:

Do-Win Weightlifting Shoes - Black & White | Rogue Fitness

I suspect the bar is in the high bar position, but it is too tough to tell from the video angle. Maybe film from a bit higher next time. Its also a good time to start correcting the bent back wrist position, which could become a problem later

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    I suspect the bar is in the high bar position, but it is too tough to tell from the video angle. Maybe film from a bit higher next time. Its also a good time to start correcting the bent back wrist position, which could become a problem later
    It looks like he at first sets in into the low bar position, but then slides it up to his traps before actually unracking the bar... not sure though.

I think you gentlemen are both correct. Clyde, I think you're doing the same thing my dad does, which is why it jumped out at me. He gets under the bar and into a good position, but then when he unracks it he hunches over and lets it roll up his back. In your video, from about 0:11-0:14 you do a lot of wiggling around to get the bar in a pretty decent position. At 0:15, you lift your elbows and round your upper back, rolling the bar up into a more high bar position.

Try to make puffing your chest up the last thing you do before you unrack, to lock that bar into the spot you spent all that effort wiggling it into. It'll be a lot easier to do if you fix those crooked wrists.

Clyde,

I've used the Roque Do-Winn shoes and they are fine. If you search the forums you will find other feedback, etc

I normally wear size 13 sneakers (Nike, etc) so I bought size 12.5 Do-Winns and they are still a little big for my feet which tends to allow rocking back and forth and makes keeping balanced over mid foot a little trickier on squats.

if your feet are normal width, you may want to order 1 full size smaller than your normal shoe size as a staring point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    I think you gentlemen are both correct. Clyde, I think you're doing the same thing my dad does, which is why it jumped out at me. He gets under the bar and into a good position, but then when he unracks it he hunches over and lets it roll up his back. In your video, from about 0:11-0:14 you do a lot of wiggling around to get the bar in a pretty decent position. At 0:15, you lift your elbows and round your upper back, rolling the bar up into a more high bar position.

Try to make puffing your chest up the last thing you do before you unrack, to lock that bar into the spot you spent all that effort wiggling it into. It'll be a lot easier to do if you fix those crooked wrists.
    Thanks for this, I'll keep that in mind for myself. I have the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McAnally View Post
    Thanks for this, I'll keep that in mind for myself. I have the same problem.
    Agree! Thanks for all of the comments. I watched the video many many time and did not even see that. I need to figure out the wrist thing. There was a good SS video that I watched on how to stretch the wrist either on this site or youtube.

Clyde

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Agree! Thanks for all of the comments. I watched the video many many time and did not even see that. I need to figure out the wrist thing. There was a good SS video that I watched on how to stretch the wrist either on this site or youtube.

Clyde
    the wrist shouldn't be an issue. You don't have the hold the bar in your hand. just keep your wrists straight, and use your hand to wedge the bar against your back... if that means only your palms and fingertips are touching the bar that's fine. If you are forcing yourself to actually hold the bar in your hand like a dealift, fingers wrapped around, you likely won't be able to get into low bar position, unless you have great shoulder flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff LC View Post
    the wrist shouldn't be an issue. You don't have the hold the bar in your hand. just keep your wrists straight, and use your hand to wedge the bar against your back... if that means only your palms and fingertips are touching the bar that's fine. If you are forcing yourself to actually hold the bar in your hand like a dealift, fingers wrapped around, you likely won't be able to get into low bar position, unless you have great shoulder flexibility.

Thanks for your comment. I don't think my wrist is bearing any weight of the bar. I feel as though it is definitely being carried by my back. On the drive up, I even feel as though my hands are pushing the bar deeper into my back as I tense up while driving up. I suppose if I were holding the bar with my hands I'd feel some relief of the weight in my hands, but I don't. I definitely know what it feels like to have bar weight in my hand because on a front rack position, it's impossible for me to get into the proper wrist position, and when I try to, I definitely know the weight is on my wrist and I immediately have to stop or it kills my wrist. Hope this makes sense.

Let me try the open palm approach. Maybe that will work on the low bar squat. Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    It's not really an open palm, but the heel of the hand and fingertips. I was going to make the exact same comment. Watch a bunch of the squat grip videos, and pay close attention to what they're doing with their hands. I'm sure you'll see the difference.

Interestingly, I was just making the same suggestion to my dad. It seems you guys have very similar squat issues haha