starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Has Made Me a Broken Man

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    The reason why I recommended the backoffs isn’t anything complicated: Your form first had a problem on the first rep of the second set, which would have been your first rep of backoffs. But I didn’t realize you hadn’t added in a light day yet - that comes first. Don’t get stuck on trying to hit 360x5x3 in a week. Think about hitting 380x5x3 in a month, and then 405x5 a few weeks later. You’re having a great run of LP, and if the adjustments help out, some fantastic numbers might be in the cards, but you’ll need to manage fatigue to get there. ANLP is still NLP, and some people run it out for a very long time.
    I see. And yes, I am definitely thinking long-term. I am planning on adding a light day to the program very soon, so I think that will get me a bit further. I think that might take me to around 345-360. I'm hoping to follow the sort of traditional progression that SS recommends around here, including the top set of 5 and two back-offs. I've just got my fingers crossed that I can figure out this falling forward issue soon because after a real bad grinder, like the last rep of the second set, my lower back is just shot, and it results in some weaker squat sets like the third one. I'll definitely be considering the top set and back-offs in a few weeks, though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stepic View Post
    Do you feel your elbow on 225? Maybe try to use your warmups to play around with the grip. I'm 6'1" and my pinky finger is on the marking (not sure if it's power or oly marking) and if I move it 1 or 2 inches narrower my elbows start hurting. I have no idea why, just sharing my experience.

As for the knees, try thinking about reaching back with the hips on the way down. This is probably a problem that was there before you posted these videos so if standard cues don't help, a reset may be warranted (or not). It is probably useful to have a coach for these type of things. Good luck.
    Yes, I feel the pain in my elbow as low as 135, sometimes even with just the bar. It sounds like either way, your grip is much wider than mine. Like, maybe an entire hand width wider. I'll be sure to try a wider grip and see if that helps.

I'll think about that cue on the next session. That's kind of what I was thinking during the third set, and the first rep of that set was great. I guess I might have to just learn to keep them looking like that even when it gets tough, which is the hard part for me.

Yeah, I wish I could afford a coach, even an online one, but college won't allow it. That's why I appreciate all the talented amateurs and the occasional kind SSC who give out free information that has made training w/o a coach possible if not optimal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12