starting strength gym

Thread: Can I get some feedback on form?

Default Can I get some feedback on form?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I started Starting Strength on Dec. 7th and since have lost 5 pounds, current weight is 275lbs 5'10". Things are going good. Press has gone 90 - 130, bench 105-165, squat 115-285, and deadlift 135-305. Havent started powercleans because deads still feel "fresh".

I would appreciate some feedback on both squat and deadlift.

Squat is 285lbs.
    YouTube

Deadlift is 305lbs.
    YouTube

Thanks gents.

Have you read the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Have you read the book?
    Yes I have, that's why I am here.

Welcome. You have begun an excellent program. What is your age?

You have advanced quite a bit in just one month. Your squats are good in many ways but you seem to be relying upon your knees instead of your hips.

On the Deads: Do not breath in or out while the weight is off of the floor.

The nutrition section can give you great advice on gaining strength while losing weight.

Best wishes.

Congrats on the progress, gutterbacon! I'd have to agree with Carson about squatting with your knees moreso than your hips. It looks like you're having some trouble committing to the squat. Push your hips back and bend over while keeping the weight centered on the middle of your foot. It looks almost as if there are two distinct portions of the movement: The beginning when you attempt to descend mostly with your knees, then when your hips take over and you bend over a bit more at the bottom. This could cause some balance issues if not sorted out, so work on committing a bit more and making the motion a bit more fluid. Best of luck!

Do not post videos of above-parallel squats on this board.

Squats are high first of all.

I'm a novice so I won't get too deep into it but there are a couple things that are clear even to a novice.

You're looking forward. Look at the floor 5 feet in from of you. You want your spine straight altheway up to you head. If you back angle is horizontal that means your neck angle should be too, at the bottom.

Also seems like you're not driving through the hips and kinda squatting with your knees, hence why it makes sense you're not going deep enough. Really try to sit back in the bottom, and then stick your but out to push out of the hole (that's the cue that worked for me anyway, but to each his own.. i ended up sticking it too far out and now I'm working on "staying in the knees more" lol)

Also film from the rear quarter for squats, not front quarter.

Also, not sure how you added 170 pounds in one month to the bar. But it's too fast, and the lack of depth shows that.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't know what the rules are about novices giving form advice I'll gladly abstain if it's against the rules.