starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squat - Bar Position and Wreck Handling

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    There are many things wrong. Mostly you just aren't tight anywhere. You aren't controlling the bar, it's controlling you. If I were you I would ditch some of the weight and really work hard on the technique. Read the SS book again.

What stands out to me is that you are never actually standing up under the weight. You are always bent forward. Are you afraid it will slide down your back if you aren't bent forward a bit?

This is an example of a person who needs a coach for every session, standing on the platform correcting the dozens of problems that have never been successfully corrected after previous advice. Not everybody can do this by themselves, and Mr. Levine is a prime example. He does not learn from internet advice, and I'm afraid he's going to get seriously injured while trying to do so. If you'd like to try to help, go ahead, but the past few months have proven that it is pointless, and I'm afraid that encouraging him is just going to get him hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is an example of a person who needs a coach for every session, standing on the platform correcting the dozens of problems that have never been successfully corrected after previous advice. Not everybody can do this by themselves, and Mr. Levine is a prime example. He does not learn from internet advice, and I'm afraid he's going to get seriously injured while trying to do so. If you'd like to try to help, go ahead, but the past few months have proven that it is pointless, and I'm afraid that encouraging him is just going to get him hurt.
    Unfortunately, a coach for every session is not a realistic option. Thank you for reminding me that I suck at this, and feel free to kick me off the site and forum if desired. Once a month is the best I can do, and I might add-on andybaker.com.

I do have some ability for self-correction, but the videos I post here tend to be the worst of my sets - not the best (which admittedly, still are far from good). After this near-wreck event, I sought advice, did a reset, and tried to fix some stuff. Arms, knees, and back aren't fixed, but are better than they were. Dive-bombing was fixed, but actually came back again in yesterday's session (have to redo that Wednesday).

I don't plan on quitting, but if you know a good orthopedic surgeon in Indianapolis to keep on speed-dial, let me know. That's a side-effect of publishing a book - you don't get to choose who reads it.

-->Adam

maybe just find a leg press machine, and do that.

and do your deadlifts/pulls of course.

Omg.
    I'm no expert but don't these look dangerous to anyone else?
    Those are goodmornings.

No, they aren't good mornings.

Problem now is not keeping tight at the bottom of the squat, the hips tucking under which results in the hamstrings going slack-no stretch reflex to help get out of the hole. There is a sweet spot between too high and too low. Squeeze the glutes and keep squeezing throughout the rep. Control the bar. There is a balance between thinking too much about getting low enough and forgetting to stay tight enough-they both matter.

Second problem is the upper back is not tight enough. Watch the second video, the bar clearly rolls towards your neck-nasty.

Ditch the bar, get a dumbbell and perform bottle squats until you can hit depth and keep everything tight. Then get back under the empty bar and practice again. With the bar unloaded it is harder to stop it rolling which makes for good practice at tightening everything down, getting proper upper back extension.

I suspect the problem here is that you haven't got the physical perception of 'tight', so it's more a half hearted squeeze with a lung full of air. Brace like someone is going to punch you in the stomach and shove a nightstick up your arse. Keep doing it throughout the rep, from the moment it's free of the pins, until it's back on the pins. Don't worry too much about the weight on the bar until you have it nailed.

Don't get discouraged by what's being said, I had all the same problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Brace like someone is going to punch you in the stomach and shove a nightstick up your arse.
    I lol’d. What an image.

I appreciate your tenacity. Be careful. That is all.

starting strength coach development program
    My two cents here, you've probably got a lot going through your mind as you do these movements. I'm guessing you're trying to fix everything at once here (you've got the band behind you to help for depth, the TUBOW to guide your knees, and who knows how many cues you're trying to give yourself in your head). I think your posts here show that you are really pursuing strength because you believe in its benefits, but your posts also show you're likely the type that overthinks things.

I used to teach people (many from your demographic) how to cross country ski, which to do effectively requires a lot of moving parts to come together at once to really hit a good stride. I'd come across people (and I'm grouping you in here) that if you gave them too much information, they'd get lost in their head and not know how to transfer theory to motion. What I would tell them to do is to just focus on one thing rather than the big picture. I'd hazard a guess that you would do better if you chipped away at your technique rather than try to fix it all at once and hope it comes together. A lot of people here have pointed out that the lack of tightness in your back is one of your biggest problems (and likely the biggest threat to your safety and your ability to move forward with the program). Work on that, even if it means resetting your squat to humbling levels - this isnt' a race, that weight will still be around for you when you get your form fixed. Lose the band behind you for depth, lose TUBOW. Do one thing well rather than a bunch of things shittily.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast