starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Squat - Bar Position and Wreck Handling

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    I listened and attempted to get very tight under the bar. Unfortunately, Rips advice is simply unactionable given my circumstances, so the real options are to quit or continue. I chose continue.

I suppose I might be able to go to a complete seminar or hire a full time coach if I abandon my responsibilities, wife and kids. So, not totally unactionable, but still unrealistic.
    Let's see a series of paused air squats and bottle squats, where you hold depth for a couple of seconds. Until you get the basic technique for depth sorted out it isn't going to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Let's see a series of paused air squats and bottle squats, where you hold depth for a couple of seconds. Until you get the basic technique for depth sorted out it isn't going to progress.
    Nockian,

Thank you - that actually sounds like a good idea (though I'm not sure what bottle squats are - I looked it up on google and, well, I hope that isn't what you meant).

I need to start at the bottom, as is shown in the model. Make sure I'm in balance, rigid, at the bottom. The good news is that now, after a few weeks of NLP, I'm strong enough to do that with some load. Ill try concentrating on the bottom position, pausing, and going up with a light weight (maybe 95lb when my workset is 175). That should be enough weight for me to feel what the bar is doing without really stopping me from pausing at any point in the squat. I'll try to figure out how to implement that and try it on my next technique day (unless Coach Inman gives me something better).

-->Adam

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    Nockian,

Thank you - that actually sounds like a good idea (though I'm not sure what bottle squats are - I looked it up on google and, well, I hope that isn't what you meant).

I need to start at the bottom, as is shown in the model. Make sure I'm in balance, rigid, at the bottom. The good news is that now, after a few weeks of NLP, I'm strong enough to do that with some load. Ill try concentrating on the bottom position, pausing, and going up with a light weight (maybe 95lb when my workset is 175). That should be enough weight for me to feel what the bar is doing without really stopping me from pausing at any point in the squat. I'll try to figure out how to implement that and try it on my next technique day (unless Coach Inman gives me something better).

-->Adam
    Grab a dumbbell and hold it to your chest. That's what I call a bottle squat.

You really don't know what the bar is doing. On your last video it was in a high bar position-presuming that you are trying to low bar squat then it's in the wrong position. It's too soon to go over all the other problems with tightness, knee position, correct unlocking, bar/arm position. Let's try and fix one thing at a time. Air squat/then add a dumbbell and pause at the bottom position.

I got my wife sorted out she couldn't squat properly, valgus, too high, all awkward somewhat like your squat. If you fix the basics one at a time progress will be swifter. If you get to your coach before that, then she has the job.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234