starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form Check - Abductor Recovery - 275x5 Squat

Default Form Check - Abductor Recovery - 275x5 Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

Hey, Rip. I just squatted for two weeks on the Starr Protocol too deep and with too steep a back angle. I just realized this 3 days ago. After 3 days of squatting with forward knee movement in the bottom and inconsistent depth, I realized I can't fix this without further instruction.

Thanks for your time,

Jim Morrison

Sounds like you know exactly what you need to do! You're bending over in the bottom of your squat, you just have to do it way sooner. I think your depth is inconsistent because you're fighting your body's desire to bend over the whole way down, then you finally let it do what it has to do and you sort of crash into the bottom of your squat. It's almost like you hit a sticking point in your descent. If you get bent over sooner it should smooth the whole thing out, let you control your descent, and find consistent depth more easily.

Basically, knees out, butt back, and bend over IMMEDIATELY when you start your squat.

Yea you're way too vertical, but you're just correcting it only at the bottom... but you're supposed to get into the final vertical position 1/3 to 1/2 the way down and then stay there.... in this, you're doing a typical too vertical squat, but then just bending down at the bottom to correct. Try to bent down much sooner,.

Remember Rip's point about your chin in a previous form check? Yeah you might want to look at that again To me it looks like you're still looking down too aggressively (like between your toes at the bottom). Even if your gaze it actually 4ish ft in front of you, your face is almost pointed directly down. Even without weight on your back try to make your upper back rigid and move your head into that position. You'll likely find it's really hard to keep that rigidity, which when squatting will make it hard to get that lean.

This is a bad camera angle to diagnose the CAUSE of being too upright, getting into your knees too much, etc. I got a lot of this same advice (bend over more, knees out, etc.) but it can be incomplete information. Case in point, a SSC recently pointed out that if I narrowed my grip it would fix my elbows and lead to a tighter upper back that retains its rigidity at the bottom ALLOWING me to bend over more. Night and day difference. I tried for months until that point. You're filming these likely because depth was an issue before, you look good on that front now. Film from the rear quarter like the sticky says and you'll likely get a more complete feedback.

And take the 5 minutes to get your account verified and post to the SSC forum. It will take longer to get a reply, but the content is pure gold.

I have been experiencing extreme soreness in both my hip flexors for the past couple of days. I think this has something to do with the frequency of the Starr Method combined with my God-awful squat form, along with the increased weight. What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smale View Post
    And take the 5 minutes to get your account verified and post to the SSC forum. It will take longer to get a reply, but the content is pure gold.
    what does it mean to get the account verified? That check mark? what does it "verify" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff LC View Post
    what does it mean to get the account verified? That check mark? what does it "verify" ?
    That you're a real, live human being using your actual identity.

I have been experiencing extreme soreness in both my hip flexors for the past couple of days. I think this has something to do with the frequency of the Starr Method combined with my God-awful squat form, along with the increased weight. What should I do?
    I think step one would be to fix that God-awful form and see if it still hurts. You identified exactly what you need to fix, so go ahead and give it a try. Have you squatted since your OP? How did it go? Is there a weight you can squat pain free?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff LC View Post
    Check out the sticky on the SSC Q&A or Starting Strength Programming forums on how to do this. It's worth the 2 minutes it takes.

starting strength coach development program
    I have found by using a TUBOW that not spreading my knees apart all the way and keeling them there causes some extreme hip flexor soreness. This seems like it will solve my problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast