starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check cont.

Default Squat form check cont.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For some reason I couldn't continue my last thread, sorry for making a new one.

Today I went up 5 lbs again to 175, and focused on the cues "break at knees and hips simultaneously" and "toes up" (to correct my forward shifted weight).

I definitely felt by posterior chain more with my weight more in my heels, but when it got heavy, I involuntarily shifted back to toes.

Set 3:
    YouTube

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as if you are breathing altheway OUT, then holding your breath then doing the rep? You should be doing the opposite. Breathe in nice and big, filling your lungs with air, chest big and tight, and then hold it in, and SQUEEZZZZEEE and squat, you don't see to be bracing properly, if at all. But your form looks decent, and better than your other post, good job!

I am sorry but you are incorrect. It mar be difficult to see because of the loose shirt (I've lost 60lbs since I bought it, and I don't want to damage the newer ones). I am breathing in to my stomach and trying to breathe out into a closed throat, then clenching my abs and low back as hard as I can. Making the belt feel even tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by petchvery View Post
    For some reason I couldn't continue my last thread, sorry for making a new one.

Today I went up 5 lbs again to 175, and focused on the cues "break at knees and hips simultaneously" and "toes up" (to correct my forward shifted weight).

I definitely felt by posterior chain more with my weight more in my heels, but when it got heavy, I involuntarily shifted back to toes.

Set 3:
    YouTube
    Feet directly under the bar when unracking.

Your first rep or two were great, I thought this was going to be a boring form check. Too much knees shifted you forward on the third, good work mentally regrouping on the fourth, fifth was ok-ish.

I like the "toes up" thing, some people do alright with rocking back slightly on their heels just before descent.

You've got better form now, with more on the bar. Nice work.

Today I felt particularly weak. I still managed to add 5 lbs; but, I was doing anything I could to get the weight up be set 3, which is unusual. I believe this recent week of walking 11+ miles per day at work contributed to that.

Watching the videos I see I'm still struggling with thoracic rigidity and getting weight 9ver midfoot.

Set 2
    YouTube
    Set 3
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by petchvery View Post
    Today I felt particularly weak. I still managed to add 5 lbs; but, I was doing anything I could to get the weight up be set 3, which is unusual. I believe this recent week of walking 11+ miles per day at work contributed to that.

Watching the videos I see I'm still struggling with thoracic rigidity and getting weight 9ver midfoot.

Set 2
    YouTube
    Set 3
    YouTube
    I agree with those diagnoses. Hips get you depth, hips get you back up. Tell your brain that bending the T-spine does not get you legitimately deeper, but can complicate balance.

In your first video, you were squatting too deep for some of the reps, and you were getting that extra depth by crashing forwards into your knees, and thus knocking yourself onto your toes. Looked better in the second video, but you could still work on staying tighter and sitting back instead of down as you approach the bottom.

To start, I need to address something keip pm'd me about: deleted old videos. Youtube dinged me for copyrighted songs that my gym was playing, and in a panic, I took down the offending videos. I'm sorry if this is a problem, but I no longer have the footage.

Now for today, I felt like these were some of the best squats I've done based on what I can see.

I think I made improvements in all key areas pointed out to me.

YouTube

Nothing wrong with these squats at all. Now, get them up to 405, 5 pounds at a time.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you very much, sir. I will do my utmost.