starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

While these are strong, you do have a few technical errors.

Primarily, you are cranking up your elbows and flexing your upper back at the initiation of the movement instead of maintaining a rigid back and leaning over at the waist. This is resulting in you getting into your knees with your balance on your toes at the bottom. This results in your hips shooting backward out of the hole to re-establish balance over mid-foot.

Stop the video at about 2/3 of the way down. Do you see where your gaze is at? Maybe 2-3 feet in front of your toes. What it probably needs to be is 4-6 feet in front of you or maybe at the base of the wall in front of you. You also need to keep your upper back extended throughout the movement. I'd also like to see your hands come in more and the entirety of your fingers on the bar, not just the outside heels of your palms.

Your knees are caving in on the ascent. I don't think your stance is too wide, but your toe spread may be a little to much. Try bringing them in a hair and really think about shoving your knees out and keeping them there. Think about the outside edges of your feet throughout the movement.

I think you'd benefit from the advice that SSC Pete Troupos gave me here (Squat/Deadlift Form Check). I'd argue that you aren't nearly tight enough from the get go (not just as you start your descent), which is causing a lot of the same problems I suffered (elbows up, losing back rigidity, not being able to lean down enough on the decent, etc.). For me, getting my hands in as close as possible helped that immensely, even after one workout. Narrowing your grip will tighten your back and give you a better shelf for the bar to sit on, and you won't be fighting to keep it in place at the bottom like it looks like you are now. The fact that your plates are spinning is a sign the bar is moving. If shoulder tightness is preventing you from gripping the bar narrower, there's stretches (i.e. Paul Horn) that you can do to help this.

I think Satch is right with your gaze too. It seems like your leading your descent with your face instead of your nipples. And definitely keep those knees out, caving in is bad.

And get verified and post to the SSC coaches forum too. The replies aren't as quick but the advice is on the money - not implying anything with what Satch said here though

You're much stronger than me, but if i had to take a stab at it, I'd say you're looking to far down at the bottom, like, directly 90 degrees down, rather then 5 feet ahead of you down. So it looks like there's some cervical spine flexion, where it should be nuetral with the rest of your spine. In turn this is causing the whole upper spine flex, losing the "proud chest" "shoulders back and tight" position you want.

Disclaimer, you are much, much stronger than me, and i am a weakling with bad genetics and no experience.