starting strength gym

Thread: 175 DL Left the Shins - Form Check Please

Default 175 DL Left the Shins - Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today pulled 175lbs for 5 and on reps 3-5 the bar no longer was scrapping up my shins. Any pointers/cues based on the video below:

YouTube

When I DL lighter weights I can keep the bar in contact with my shins. I’ve never had the bar scrap up my thighs though. When I get to heavier weights I find that the bar no longer contact my shins on the way up.

Any good advice would be appreciated.

After you drop the previous rep, you have to focus on resetting properly.

I’ll review the 5 Steps and work on resetting. Looking at the video again my hips are high, arms slightly in front of the bar, and the bar does seem to follow a vertical path over the mid foot.

I don’t know why the bar is leaving my shins but maybe I’m not staying as tight as I should. I’ll try bigger breath, rotate chest up, and try and hold that for each rep. I’ll try to focus on the pushing the floor away que. Hope it does the trick.

When you are putting the weight down you are going around the knees (starting the weight for the next rep forward of mid foot). Put the weight down by keeping the knees back (hips first) will help. Your back looks tight so that is not the problem. The lats are what hold the weight on the shins so pullups might help with your deadlift if you aren't already doing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paramedicdan View Post
    When you are putting the weight down you are going around the knees (starting the weight for the next rep forward of mid foot). Put the weight down by keeping the knees back (hips first) will help. Your back looks tight so that is not the problem. The lats are what hold the weight on the shins so pullups might help with your deadlift if you aren't already doing them.
    Or maybe the bar is not over mid-foot as SSBBT3 talks about...

5th post, and Dan has this under control. Satch and I can rest easy.

starting strength coach development program
    Really appreciate the responses. After reviewing the 5 steps I used the 1” from the shins rather than what I thought was mid-foot...problem solved.

I’ll work on fixing going around the knees. And also check the book before posting, my bad.