starting strength gym

Thread: What muscles are weak causing a crooked back squat?

Default What muscles are weak causing a crooked back squat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. I never thought my squat was crooked until I shot a video from directly behind. Does anyone know which of my muscles could be weak, which would seem to cause my left side to rise quicker than my right? I still have the crazy crooked wrists, but I don't think that's it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

YouTube

YouTube

Uneven stance or leg length discrepancy. I'm going with the first until we can rule out the second.

I don't think this looks that bad, and I don't think you can infer much from one set (if you're really worried about this, record this view more often). It could be something as simple as you weren't lined up exactly in the middle of the bar and that 1-2 inches you're off center is dropping the bar angle and making that side work harder. Or if you're right handed, your shoulder on that side might be naturally lower due to the strain of everyday life using that arm more often (look at each shoulder in the mirror and see if one is higher than the other). Or if your right side is your dominant side of things, maybe you're just shifting the load unknowingly to favour the side that does the most work for you in everyday life. Or either of the things Satch pointed out.

That all said, at this point in your NLP I'm pretty sure you're overthinking this (especially until you can confirm that it's an issue with more recordings, likely with something more pronounced than this). Keep an eye on it if it's worrying you, but don't let it be the cause of some unnecessary silly bullshit exercise (said affectionately) to "balance you out". Your wrists being under that much flexion are likely a much bigger issue for you to work on at this point.