starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form Checks

Default Squat form Checks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Set #2
    Caught myself looking up on the last rep.

Set #2
    Head position a bit high.

My focus point is the line in the rubber mats in front of me where the maroon meets the black. My Head still has a tendency to tilt up. Do I need to start squatting with a tennis ball under my chin? How is the depth?

The 2nd hyperlink should read: Set #3.

Set# 3

Heres the third set. Oops

Get out of the habit of looking up / lifting the chest when the weight feels heavy. This is where most of your trouble is coming from, as far as I can tell. Can you cover that mirror?

I agree with you. The session before this one, I set the J-hooks on the other posts to face away from the mirror but had the same issue.

The book mentions athletes who were trained the head up position need extra effort to correct this. I fall into this category. Thats why I ask about the tennis ball method the book mentions, is this actually performed with the working sets to train the correct head position?

You could actually stick a tennis ball under your chin, but that seems like a pain in the ass. Your inner coach just needs to yell at you to look down. Can't see your knees at the bottom, but pretty sure these are high.

starting strength coach development program
    I’d say practice. You can do a bunch of unweighted squats with the tennis ball. Then try it with just the bar. Then remove the ball and see what happens. I don’t imagine you’ll have any luck using the tennis ball once the weight is heavy enough to be distracting, but you can still train the motor pattern.