starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back sore after DL

Default Lower back sore after DL

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here is a vid of my latest 5 rep DL. Took some time off and am coming back (slowly) but am finding my lower back and not my glutes or hamstrings sore after deadlift. Is my form off and I’m not seeing it? I’m bracing and squeezing glutes. Anything else? Thanks!

YouTube

What does "squeezing glutes" accomplish in the deadlift? Why do you expect your glutes or hamstrings to be sore after deadlifting?

You are admittedly coming back from a layoff, some soreness is to be expected when that happens.

You are kicking the bar forward when you aggressively bring your shins to the bar like that. Also, you are allowing your hips to drop when you set your back. Your back extension looks good otherwise.

I always squeeze glutes to help push my hips forward. Good point about shins. All makes sense. I guess the glutes will do what they do whether I squeeze my butt or not huh?

Why do you need to push your hips forward?

Just stand up.

I like Thralls cue : "don't move the bar" after every other set up and lifting cue.

Shins 1" from bar - don't move the bar
    Bend down and grab bar-don't move the bar
    Move shins to touch bar- don't move the bar
    Drag bar up shins, lockout and set the bar back down in the exact same place it was before lifting-then don't move the bar.

you are moving the bar when you bring your shins forward, to me it looks like you are starting slightly too low so your hips are shooting up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I like Thralls cue : "don't move the bar" after every other set up and lifting cue.

Shins 1" from bar - don't move the bar
    Bend down and grab bar-don't move the bar
    Move shins to touch bar- don't move the bar
    Drag bar up shins, lockout and set the bar back down in the exact same place it was before lifting-then don't move the bar.
    To be fair, he also made a video about when you should move the bar haha We all set it down a little forward of mid foot sometimes. In that case, move the bar