starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift and Press form checks

Default Deadlift and Press form checks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Deadlift:
    You need to set your back in better extension at the start, right now I don't see any real effort to get into position. You also want to stop yanking the bar off the ground, do this: YouTube
    In the video you seem to start with your hips progressively lower as you get fatigued during the set, keep them at the right height in every rep.

Press:
    Looks good. You need to stay tighter at the lockout, are you breathing out at the top? No need to do that if you start your reps from the bottom, it will just make you lose tightness.
    Also I think you would benefit from learning the press 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by JCross View Post
    Deadlift: what Nate said.

Press: what's so interesting up on the ceiling? Eyes forward and locked, aim for the tip of your nose. Straighten your wrists. Have you read the book, at least viewed the relevant video instruction?

Press: Get your elbows in front of the bar, straighten your wrists like JD said, and you gotta get under the bar sooner. I think your elbows being back encourages the bar to go forward right from the start (especially noticeable on your failed last rep).

On the press, it looks like you could get your elbows a bit more in front of the bar. That, combined with straightening your wrists, may mean the bar "floats" a little higher in the start position, but that's fine. Your grip also looks a bit wide to me. Review the section of the blue book on grip and rack position.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Press: Get your elbows in front of the bar, straighten your wrists like JD said, and you gotta get under the bar sooner. I think your elbows being back encourages the bar to go forward right from the start (especially noticeable on your failed last rep).
    Beat me to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Beat me to it...
    Don't you hate when that happens!

At least we agree, always good to get confirmation!

starting strength coach development program
    To all those that responded thank you for your input.

I am breathing at the bottom of the press. I have read the book. I have watched hours of videos, but that's not the same as executing. I can tell in the video that I started the deadlift with a rounded back angle, but I did not want to skew any of the feedback in the thread. I will work on the above suggestions and post new videos soon.

Thanks again.