starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thank you in advance for your feedback. I am particularly interested if my form may have contributed to the hip pain I have been experiencing lately. I have been squatting this way about 7 months and I am not starting to have some pretty disconcerting hip discomfort when sitting and standing.

I'm not asking for medical advice. I will seek it if taking time off does not help. But I am curious about feedback.

Thank you all again.

-Raul

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-rTvto5ai1c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YouTube

P.S. This video was shot several weeks ago but is pretty consistently representative of my form. I do not have any other angles or heights, unfortunately. Neither can I go and create new videos with the preferred angles/lighting because I am currently taking time off from squats due to the aforementioned hip pain.

Thanks!

These are too deep, first thing I would do is cut a couple inches off, maybe that will solve your hip problem. Second thing, don't breathe out until you completed the rep. You might also want to try slowing down your descent, to see if the pain subsides. Let's see a three quarter view from the back to look at your stance and knee position.

I'm with Nate on everything he said. You've also got knee slide at the bottom, but that will probably clear up if you slow down and cut these off a bit higher. Just wanted to add that you're also looking straight ahead on all of these. Look at the ground ~5' in front of you. If you can deal with the pain just to muster up a set of 5 from the preferred camera angle we'd be able to see more.