starting strength gym

Thread: Request for Squat Form Check

Default Request for Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

First post since becoming "verfied user". Would appreciate feedback on squat form. Additional info: this is second set at 230, hit all five reps. On third set, I almost missed the 4th rep, so I racked it, waited 20 seconds or so, then completed the last rep. Is this still considered a set of five or no? Should I increase weight next session or redo 230 until I can get three solid, unbroken sets of five? Thanks in advance.

Matt

Welcome Matt

The two things to be address are getting the knees out harder and getting leaned over sooner. This will clean up a lot of the other stuff with your squat.
    Bring the stance inward a little and focus on driving the knees outward and keeping them out throughout the rep. This will help in getting to depth consistently, because right now a lot of these aren't hitting depth.
    The other issue is getting leaned over sooner. You're coming down too vertical, so you your knees slide too far forward, and you can't get back in your hips for the drive out of the bottom. Everything ends up forward of midfoot. You probably feel yourself on your toes in the bottom. Get your chest at the ground and send the hips back so you can keep your center of mass over your center of balance.
    This may be too heavy for you to correct these things. A small reset and re-run will help. I'd take it back to 205-210 and run it back up. Make sure all reps are to unquestionable depth, your knees are out, you're balanced on midfoot, and your hip drive out of the bottom is sound.
    Good luck!

Thanks so much for feedback Pete! I dropped back to 205 and tried to incorporate your suggestions. I'd appreciate another look when you have time. Thanks again.

YouTube

Hey Matt
    These look a lot better. The depth is better and back angle looks better.
    Keep your knees back at the bottom. You're getting a little loose in the hole and the knees are popping forward a bit. Keep your chest at the ground and keep reaching back with your hips.
    Keep working it. You're on the right track.

Thanks Pete!