starting strength gym

Thread: Press Form Help

Default Press Form Help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve been having a hard time progressing on the press and I want to make sure my form is ok. I started off at 85 lb on press, then 5lb increases per workout to 95 lb, then 2.5 lb increases to 102.5lb today. But today I failed to get 3 sets of 5 reps.

Here is my warmup, showing my attempt at hip rebound, aiming for my chin/nose, and trying to get under the bar as quick as possible:

YouTube

And here is the first set of my work set at 102.5lb. I only managed to get 4 reps:

YouTube

The bar path seems to wobble some where I’m trying to get my head/body back under the bar, but the bar goes back instead. I have heard it’s important to learn to “grind” on your work set reps, at least 5 seconds. On that last rep it felt like 5 seconds, but was probably more like 3.

I’m 5’10”, 35, 190 lb, and eating around 3000 calories/230g of protein a day. What am I doing wrong here? This seems way too light to stall on LP. Do I need to switch to 5 sets of 3 reps for a while? Or is my form horrible?

Respectable grind!

I wouldn't say your form is horrible. Your wrists are extended though, get them straightened out. Extended wrists wrists are a force leak. You were real close to getting that last rep, and that little bit of inefficiency could have been the difference. Focus on getting your elbows a touch further in front of the bar. Looks like they're more under it than in front of it. I think on that last rep the bar kept creeping forwards on you as you tried to get under it. I bet you get it next time. In the meantime, eat more

How are your other lifts progessing? Anything odd happen that might help explain this (i.e. bad sleep the night before, different diet/eating schedule that day, training at a different time, etc.)? Personally I'd try this weight again and then come back to your concerns. Also, I don't think you really fit into the demographic that sets of 3 are usually recommended for (i.e. the elderly, women, etc.).