starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Correction

Default Deadlift Form Correction

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Take 1: YouTube
    Take 2: YouTube

Hi, despite what these shoddy clips show, I'm actually a decently experienced lifter. Due to various reasons I haven't lifted in a few weeks, and even at this relatively light weight , and trying to follow the five step set up, my form looks and feels really off. Usually it is quite crisp so i don't know what's happened. Was hoping for some advice - I can usually pull 405 for 5 with good form, but obviously need to sort this out.

NOTE - when breathing in for bracing last session both for squats and deadlifts, I felt - soreness is not the right word, but something in my lower back. I think perhaps the abs were tensed while I was inhaling, but again I've never a problem bracing before so i'm confused. Any advice with that as well would be welcome

Read the sticky about form checks please. You'll get better advice. Singles suck for form checks.

On the first rep, you didn't do an actual five steps. You did steps one and two, then tried to bring your shins to the bar, set your back, and pull all in one move. The result was you knocked the bar forward, dropped your hips, and pulled it with a back like a shitting dog.

All five steps were more apparent in the second rep. What was with the false start? Looks like you might have been a little far away from the bar at set up. Again, you could get your back set harder, and you're losing it as soon as you pull. Squeeze up harder enough to pull the slack out of the bar before you pull. It looks like you're initiating the pull by rocking back and extending your hips before your knees, knocking the bar right off your legs and putting your lats in a disadvantaged position. Start the lift with knee extension. Leg press the floor away.

Thanks for tip re-setting up a bit too far away. I'll go in tomorrow and film a set of 5. What exactly do you mean by 'set your back'? I do think chest up, should I be tensing my upper back as well then? Also I'll try to leg press the weight away from the floor.

Yeah, squeeze your chest up. Just do it harder and without dropping your hips. Would like to see your back flatter if possible, and stay that way throughout the lift. If you do it hard enough the slack will come out of the bar before you pull. That wasn't happening here. On early warm ups the bar may even come off the floor just from squeezing your chest up.