starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift troubleshooting follow up and squat form check

Default Deadlift troubleshooting follow up and squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    previous post: Following deadlift setup but ending up with shoulders too far over the bar?

In my last deadlift post Rip responded to me and told me to follow the Starting strength deadlift setup procedure. I've been following the process but am still having trouble. Particularly with how far over the bar my shoulders are and feeling the lift all in my back. So I messed around today in the gym trying a few things and here's what I got. Also I'm going to try to embed my videos if it doesn't work a working link will be below the broken one.

Front view of my deadlift from the other day. As you can see I'm pretty over the bar and I really don't feel that strong pull

YouTube

Here's me setting up against a rack with the bar about a half inch away from the rack the goal for me here was to keep the bar from pushing away from me at the beginning of the lift. Which it still did as you can hear it grind against the rack but its something I tried. Also i think this does a good job showing how far over the bar I am while following the setup and I'm 99% sure the bar was over my midfoot so I wasn't too close or too far away.

YouTube

This video is a heavy almost max single with the bar path traced. At the beginning of the lift I do drop my hips a bit as you can see with the more upright back angle from the beginning and then when I pull the bar moves away from over my toes. From what I've read this would indicate that I'm not pushing through with my legs and using my back too early to lift the weight.

YouTube

And here's a video of me rocking the weight back without bending at the knees to try and get the bar more under my scapula.

YouTube

And last two videos of my squat from today. I haven't squatted since last year and decided to try pushing my hips back before the decent which I think worked pretty well. I think I could use more hip drive though and the tendons in my inner elbows were irritated.

back view:

https://youtu.be/-M6Vo8kCSwk

DEADLIFT (you should post work sets of 5 at the work weight)
    Setup Errors:
    - Your feet are pointing forward and looks narrow
    - The bar doesn't look 1inch from your shin based on how far they travel to get there.

Fix:
    - Make your stance wider to where the heels are under the hip bones (the pointy ones you feel when you touch the side of your stomach).
    - Point your toes out a bit too
    - Put on shorts with long socks or pull your pants back so you can see the distance between your shins and the bar.

Movement errors:
    - You're not taking a big breath and not setting your back into extension properly.

Fix:
    - When you have set up ready to pull, rock back just a tiny bit(NOT TOO MUCH). You'll feel the weight shift in your feet.
    - Take a deep breath and squeeze your chest up hard before you pull.
    - Stand up tall at the end. Don't lean back, just stand up tall.

SQUAT
    Setup Errors:
    - Your stance looks a bit too narrow.

Movement Errors:
    - Your hips go back without the knees bending.

Fix:
    - Widen your stance by an inch on either side.
    - Hips and knees should break AT THE SAME TIME. Don't make them two separate movements.

Think "HIPS BACK, KNEES OUT".

Post back the last work set of each lift again. We'll fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    DEADLIFT (you should post work sets of 5 at the work weight)
    Setup Errors:
    - Your feet are pointing forward and looks narrow
    - The bar doesn't look 1inch from your shin based on how far they travel to get there.

Fix:
    - Make your stance wider to where the heels are under the hip bones (the pointy ones you feel when you touch the side of your stomach).
    - Point your toes out a bit too
    - Put on shorts with long socks or pull your pants back so you can see the distance between your shins and the bar.

Movement errors:
    - You're not taking a big breath and not setting your back into extension properly.

Fix:
    - When you have set up ready to pull, rock back just a tiny bit(NOT TOO MUCH). You'll feel the weight shift in your feet.
    - Take a deep breath and squeeze your chest up hard before you pull.
    - Stand up tall at the end. Don't lean back, just stand up tall.

SQUAT
    Setup Errors:
    - Your stance looks a bit too narrow.

Movement Errors:
    - Your hips go back without the knees bending.

Fix:
    - Widen your stance by an inch on either side.
    - Hips and knees should break AT THE SAME TIME. Don't make them two separate movements.

Think "HIPS BACK, KNEES OUT".

Post back the last work set of each lift again. We'll fix this.
    deadlift with wider stance and toes pointed out.

Squat I noticed that I was falling forward while doing these as you can see in the video with my heels coming off the ground.

By the way I'm 5'8'', 165lbs and wear a size 9 shoe if that matters and I have a 32in waste

Also I went through my deadlift recording and saw a clear double knee bend like I'm trying to power clean the weight or somthing.