starting strength gym

Thread: Form check, squat and deadlift

Default Form check, squat and deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    These are the last worksets of my first week on an NLP after a couple of years off after a move. It's good to be home again. Working out solo at the Y. I'll be driving to a SS gym for some coaching in early April, but I could use some feedback on my form before then.

Last worksets of squats at 165 and dead at 245.

Shared album - Vince D. - Google Photos.

Squat:
    Some of these are a bit deeper than they need to be.
    Don't crank your elbows up.

DL:
    You're starting the pull with your hips too low.

Thanks for the feedback, Michael. I appreciate it.

I personally don't think your elbows look that bad, although I do think your wrists are in slight flexion here (looking at the right wrist) which could bring the up a little more than a neutral grip would. You're definitely putting a few of these too far down into the hole.

For deadlifts, you're merging steps 2 and 3 here. Step 2) with STRAIGHT LEGS bring your hands to the bar, Step 3) bring your shins to the bar to set your hips. The bar belongs to the floor until you start to lift it, you shouldn't be rolling it around to accomodate your setup, your setup should accomodate the bar. Because of this unnecessary motion, the your hips aren't set when you start your pull (watch how your hips rise ~2" from where you had them during your setup to when the weight actually starts moving). Read the 5 step setup again. Try to keep your hips where they (should) start from at the end of each rep.
    Last edited by Justin Smale; 03-01-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks very much for this actionable advice, Justin. This is great.

starting strength coach development program
    Posting here again in hopes of keeping a record of form. 6'2", 207 lbs, 40 years old. First Monday in 4th week of LP. Added cleans last week. On this early morning the day after Saint Paddy's day, I think I can say that Guinness, while it may be good for you, is a lousy pre-workout drink if you're going to be up at 4 the next day.

Asking for feedback on: Shared album - Vince D. - Google Photos

Squat at 205, last set. These felt pretty good to me. Last set I submitted, I was dropping too low. Hoping these aren't too high; and

Deadlift at 285. This is a 5-year PR (I lifted mid-300s in 2005ish, but weighed more and it's been a while). The weight went up pretty easy, but I'm concerned my back (low, upper, middle, all of it) is rounding here. I don't know if this is acceptable breakdown of form because I haven't lifted this heavy in five years, or if I need to back off and work on form. I'm getting some in-person coaching in three weeks.