starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check. Hips shooting first?

Default Deadlift form check. Hips shooting first?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,
    As soon as I’ve reached 100 kg deadlift I’ve lost my confidence in this exercise. Mostly I’ve noticed that my hips are rising to early. I tried to fix my form at 105 kg deadlift today but it seems that my 5th rep is still ugly. Definitely need some advice.

YouTube

It’s not that your hips are rising too early, it’s that they aren’t in the right spot in the first place. The bar won’t move until your hips find their natural place to start the lift. If you have the book read it again. If you don’t have it, get it. Pay particular attention to the 5 step setup. Also, read the sticky about posting on the forum from a better angle, and show your setup. And stop looking in what I only can assume is a mirror beside you.

Yup. Your hips are rising early because you're dropping them as you set your back. They're moving all over the place as you get ready for the next rep. Focus on squeezing your chest up without dropping the hips. Are you elevating your deadlifts because you're using small plates?

Thanks, I re-read the 5 step setup part and I think that this can be really helpful. I’ll try to focus on setting the hips in the right place. I’ll try it on my next deadlift workout on wednesday.

About elevating my deadlifts - yes I’m using iron plates which are smaller than standard plates. I simply dont have enough mobility to pull them directly from the floor without arching my back.