starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check (205 lbs)

Default Squat Form Check (205 lbs)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

First off, I recognize that I fail to break parallel for certain on my first rep (the others are debatable). As well, I noticed that on my third rep, the bar traveled forwards of my mid-foot. Finally, my arms seem to be shaking violently, something I have never noticed while squatting. This is concerning, as squatting tends to inflame my medial epicondylitis, in spite of my expectations.

I would be greatly appreciative of any critiques.

As you wrote...these are high.
    You're trying to stay too upright and unlocking knees before hips.
    Your stance also looks a bit narrow.

Read the sticky about form check videos.

And eat everything. Immediately.

How long have you been doing the program and how much weight have you gained since starting? Based on the fact that 205 looks like it might be a double bodyweight squat, I'm assuming not long and not much I'm wondering because I suspect at least one of two things is going on here. Either you just started and were too aggressive with your starting weights, or you've been doing it a while and haven't been eating enough.

I have been doing the program for 4 weeks now religiously (only assistance work being chins, some dips, and occasional barbell shrugs as I have been having problems with my deadlift grip strength). As for weight gain, I started the program at around 135 and now weigh around 150. I started squatting around 120, but have been somewhat aggressive with 10 pound jumps, however, I have been slowed down by a pulled hip adductor and flexor in my left leg, which tend to be inflamed by using a wider squat stance.

As for food, my appetite has been failing me in the past weeks from eating a ton. On a bad day I'll eat around 3,300 or more calories, and on a good day 4,000 to 5,000, always with around 250g protein, around 400-600g carbs, and 100-200g fat. On some days, I do find I have trouble getting over 300g of carbs, however I manage to stuff the food down regardless.

Is this progress (in terms of strength and body weight) reasonable, or do you recommend I increase my caloric intake (more whole milk) or what?

Quote Originally Posted by LiftWithYourBack View Post
    I have been doing the program for 4 weeks now religiously (only assistance work being chins, some dips, and occasional barbell shrugs as I have been having problems with my deadlift grip strength).
    Your not doing the program (YNDTP) if you added accessory exercises in week 4. Deadlifts are a great way to develop grip strength for the.....deadlift! Deadlift every workout until your worksets are heavier than the squat. Then, you add powercleans.

Your squat grip is completely wrong; not going to address. Watch the video. Squat Grip Correction | Mark Rippetoe

GOMAD, "gallon of milk a day" is a great way to add calories and gain weight. My recommendation, after meals to fill the voids and anytime you walk past the fridge.

Reread SSBT3. If you do not own a copy, buy one and read it twice. Remember, it is about lifting the weight safely, not lifting the most weight. After watching your form, I would deload 20%, get your form correct with a belt and shoes, then progress safely. 20%=40lbs=9-days at 10lb jumps. Not a big setback to prevent more injuries.
    Last edited by Mike Troxell; 03-06-2019 at 08:19 PM.

I have been doing the program for 4 weeks now religiously (only assistance work being chins, some dips, and occasional barbell shrugs as I have been having problems with my deadlift grip strength). As for weight gain, I started the program at around 135 and now weigh around 150. I started squatting around 120, but have been somewhat aggressive with 10 pound jumps, however, I have been slowed down by a pulled hip adductor and flexor in my left leg, which tend to be inflamed by using a wider squat stance.

As for food, my appetite has been failing me in the past weeks from eating a ton. On a bad day I'll eat around 3,300 or more calories, and on a good day 4,000 to 5,000, always with around 250g protein, around 400-600g carbs, and 100-200g fat. On some days, I do find I have trouble getting over 300g of carbs, however I manage to stuff the food down regardless.

Is this progress (in terms of strength and body weight) reasonable, or do you recommend I increase my caloric intake (more whole milk) or what?
    That's all reasonable, aside from the assistance stuff, but you may have kept the 10 pound jumps going too long with your squat depth suffering as a result. Assuming you were hitting depth to begin with at least. I second Mike's recommendation of taking weight off the bar to prioritize form, but I might be even more conservative with working your way back up. A couple of 10 lbs jumps then 5 lbs after, assuming you've got your form dialed in at the lower weight. There's a lot to work on here. Depth, grip, back tightness (related to grip), back angle, eye gaze. Review the whole teaching progression and make sure you nail it as you work your way back up. Take another video at a lower weight (recorded as per the sticky) and let's see how it looks.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll deload to 170 lbs, fix up my form as you guys discussed, and eat more.

fix up my form as you guys discussed
    Reference video:

Back squat: YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Shoes!!!!!!! GET FLAT SHOES NOW!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast