starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Formcheck #2

Default Deadlift Formcheck #2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

Related to this thread https://startingstrength.com/resourc...orm-check.html i worked some time on my form, setup a little bit further from the bar and squeezing my back as hard as i can. Here is one set from yesterday.

YouTube

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

This is clearly pretty light for you because you are able to pull it straight up even with less than ideal mechanics. If it were heavier the bar would likely pull you into the correct place or it would not break off of the ground. Your hips are too high/ shoulders too far in front of the bar. Rock back and get your shoulders further back/ hips down just a little bit. Once you are in the correct start position squeeze your lats to keep the bar pinned to your legs. Imagine trying to bend the bar around your shins as if it were made of rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    This is clearly pretty light for you because you are able to pull it straight up even with less than ideal mechanics. If it were heavier the bar would likely pull you into the correct place or it would not break off of the ground. Your hips are too high/ shoulders too far in front of the bar. Rock back and get your shoulders further back/ hips down just a little bit. Once you are in the correct start position squeeze your lats to keep the bar pinned to your legs. Imagine trying to bend the bar around your shins as if it were made of rubber.
    Hey Brent,
    Wow thanks for your reply.
    In my set today I pulled 15kg more than in my first post and it felt lighter.

YouTube

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Well done, sir. Now put some more weight on the bar. It's still clearly too light!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    Well done, sir. Now put some more weight on the bar. It's still clearly too light!
    Thanks coach,

Today I recognized that my hips shoot up a little bit right before i lift. Is there something i can do or isnt it a big thing? Happend on my set today aswell

Make sure you are in the right position at the start - if you aren't, your hips will come up as you come into balance (see Pulling Mechanics section in the Deadlift chapter of SS p111- and p128-131 for the form error).

You can still mess up from the right position if you go out of sequence. Focus on pushing the floor (knee extension) at the start as a mental cue.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Make sure you are in the right position at the start - if you aren't, your hips will come up as you come into balance (see Pulling Mechanics section in the Deadlift chapter of SS p111- and p128-131 for the form error).

You can still mess up from the right position if you go out of sequence. Focus on pushing the floor (knee extension) at the start as a mental cue.
    Hi stef,

I read the chapter with the form errors again and tried and tried to focus on your cues. Here is one set from today, i think my hips still move a tiny bit at the start. Is this normal or is there something else i can do?

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Just make the start tighter. Your tendency is to be a little loose. Make sure you are pulling the bar in tight with your lats and that will lock things into a slightly better position.

Lower the bar faster and you'll have more for reps 2+. Same way, but faster.