starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check 115lb

Default Squat form check 115lb

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Youtube video link

Just recently decided to get back into the program in the last week after 6 years of not lifting weights. I apologize about the video angle and I'll try and follow the guidelines in the stickied thread next time.

My upper body posture at first sight looks bad. I have pretty terrible posture in general, but I feel like this might be due to either the bar being too low or my grip being poor/shoulders being too inflexible and I adjusted by hunching over.

Thanks!

You have a good posture and you have a good shoulder mobility.

Get tight in your lower and upper back and drive your hips out of the hole, not chest. You should get tight BEFORE unracking te bar.

Stay in your hips longer. You are raising your chest too fast and it is killing your hip drive.

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's a new video at 125lbs:

Youtube

I'm assuming some of those reps (2 and 4) were a bit better in terms of driving my hips? My 5th rep seemed a bit too high.

Better. Knees need to go out more. You still need to get tighter back and you need to start eating uncomfortable amounts of food. Some of those are high, yes.

Thanks! Here's a new set of 135. I figured I'd post my 3x5:

Youtube

Some of the reps I was trying to exaggerate bringing up my hips; not sure if I overdid it or if they were good. I tried to hold my breath a bit harder to tighten up my back, but I'm not sure if it shows. I felt like my knees were going out enough, but if anything that might have been slightly worse today than last time.

Could someone let me know which of my reps (if any) looked good? So I might have a frame of reference for myself.

I'd say it's better. Now you just need to get tighter in the upper back. Think: proud chest and elbows down. But don't let that fuck up your hip drive.

Quote Originally Posted by edzwoo View Post
    Could someone let me know which of my reps (if any) looked good? So I might have a frame of reference for myself.
    1,2,11 are probably the best of the bunch. I think you have your stance a bit wide. I'd pull in your heels about 2-3 inches, try to have them line up with your armpits at the start. This should help with your depth.

starting strength coach development program
    Good job improving these in just a few workouts. Quit staring at your shoes while you unrack the bar. Your back actually gets better once you start squatting, but that won't work once it gets heavy. Set your eye gaze and puff your chest up before you unrack the bar.

I hope you're eating like a crazy man. Get shoes.