starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Your toes are out too far. 30 degrees each foot. This will help you hit depth a bit better and get better rebound out of the bottom. You have your feet out at least 45 degrees. That's too much.

See how you lift your chin on the way up? You're trying to lift your chest rather than driving your chest up. Keep your eye-socket lasers focused on the point in front of you so that you don't lift your head. DRIVE YOUR HIPS, not your head up.

Couldn't see the first video because of copyright issues.

Pain does not equal injury. Don't be so worried about aches and pains. Worry about correct form.

You don't get to go up in weight if you skipped a workout.

YouTube Here is a video from last friday. A lot of lower back rounding, right?

YouTube

This is from today. 4/0/0 On second set i lowered myself, but didn't push up, on the third, well...I don't feel that im strong at the bottom, probably because i don't get hip drive at the proper timing. I also get confused with other cues, i think about pushing the knees out, because on the first video and some other training sessions i arched my lower back or at least i felt like it, and the book says that rounding occurs as a result of trying to get deeper. So i try to push my knees out (which gives me some hip flexor pain, which makes me thing i'm not pushing hard enough) I also try to concentrate on watching that black thing on the lower part of the floor, but maybe i lose focus. So i forget about the most important thing, pushing up ASAP, also my descending might be too poor. I'm probably strong enough to complete all of the reps, it's just that i don't know how, on that last video i tried to get all reps, but ¡ couldn't. All of the cues you have given me were extremely helpful, and maybe i should just try to implement them properly, but damn, it's difficult to fix this stuff, sorry for wasting your time when you have already given me a lot of info.. I try to fix all of this on warm up sets, but it isn't enough. And yeah, you were right about that "hernia", it was nothing.

Hey Diego, where are you located? Can we get you a coach?

Your number one problem: you are stuck in your head. You are never allowed to do what you did in that second video. If you unrack the barbell, you _have_ to squat. You must. This is what's holding you back more than your form issues. You're afraid to squat.

Fix that and we can fix the other stuff.

Yeah, i get scared sometimes. Of getting injured or failing reps, or maybe the pain and difficulty of squatting, sometimes i don't get in the mood of accepting that squats will be hard. I live in north-east Mexico, Monterrey, a few hours from the border, but i don't have a visa. Online coaching is quite expensive especially since you have to pay at least 3 months. If you are saying that being scared of the exercise is my biggest problem and not technical issues, then i guess i'll have to overcome that fear, i thought my technique was a huge limiting factor, mostly my bad hip drive, but maybe i can fix it. Either way, i think i'm probably near the end of my LP, so maybe a slower progression will help, btw i ended up doing 5/5/4 with that same weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, I think it's your main problem. If you unrack it, you have to squat it.

Hari Fafutis SSC is in Guadalajara, which is a bit of a distance from you, but doesn't require a visa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12