starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check 185lb

Default Deadlift form check 185lb

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Youtube video link

I haven't been able to see myself deadlift until I took the video today. My personal thoughts are the setup looks fine until I start lifting. It looks like my lower back is rounding quite a bit? I didn't want to hyperextend my lumbar spine, but it looks like during the lift my awareness of my back is totally off and I need to think about shoving my belly into my legs.

Thanks!

Definitely saw that video and tried to apply it! Here's a new video of me doing 195lb:

Youtube

I made a conscious effort to fix my lower back but it looks like my back still rounds a bit, especially in the last few sets. My grip on my left hand was also giving out which sorta made me fumble between reps.

I'm thinking I need to make a significant de-load and start over because I believe I got to this point with my technique having a heavily rounded back the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by edzwoo View Post
    Definitely saw that video and tried to apply it! Here's a new video of me doing 195lb:

Youtube

I made a conscious effort to fix my lower back but it looks like my back still rounds a bit, especially in the last few sets. My grip on my left hand was also giving out which sorta made me fumble between reps.

I'm thinking I need to make a significant de-load and start over because I believe I got to this point with my technique having a heavily rounded back the entire time.
    If you can budget to have one session with an SSC, or just any experienced strength coach, i think it will be well worth it in the long run. you are having some really basic issues with setting you back, it's not being set at all, you need to learn from scratch you to arch your lower back, and it may be hard to do without some live instruction.

Try this - do you know how to arch you lower back when standing up straight? Think of this, try to dangle your dick down between your knees, while simultaneously showing your buttwhole to the wall behind you. Can you arch your back standing like that?

When you bend over to grab the bar, you are doing so with an extremely rounded spine, every section of it. Stop doing that, try to keep an arched lower back even when you initially bend over. Do the cues i describe above, then bend down while still focusing on tiling your butt hole toward the wall, and dick down between the knees. It's OK for upper back to round when you first bend down to grab the bar, but your entire lumbar is bending exrremely, and you're never re-setting it, not even before the first rep. The back is very rounded before you even attempt the first rep. Even during your setup there is no momen where it isn't rounded. You are just one of those people who doesn't seem to know how to physically put your lumbar into extension. You need to learn to do this before you continue deadlifting.

Having live coaching can really help with this.