starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello
    30yo, 200lb bw, 300lb deadlift. Saw an SSC back in the fall who helped me get my hips higher and trunk tighter. I just started using a belt on deadlifts, so I'm getting used to the feeling there. I failed at 320, I have absolutely embarrassing grip strength. Posting here to help me with form breakdown and wondering if I should go back to the SSC next time I have a few extra dollars.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Andrew
    You're not really getting your back set here and you need to be more patient with Step 4™. You need a lot more squeeze up of the chest and you're trying to get the back flat. At least, that's the mental picture you need to have in your head. Lift the chest in an attempt to point it at the wall in front of you and think about using the barbell to pull your belly to the floor. Your low back is really what we'd like to prioritize, but setting the thoracic spine properly seems to help with this.
    There's a few videos on the YouTube channel that may be helpful.
    Also, rock back off your toes on the setup before you go to set the back. You're a bit forward of midfoot.
    Hope that helps.

I’m hearing a puff at the lockout. If I recall correctly, SS advice is to not breathe at the top. That could become a bad habit.

That is very helpful, I'll use those cues and post a follow up. Do I need to step slightly closer to the bar so I am over midfoot, or is it just when I set my hips/back that I get thrown off?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Prine View Post
    That is very helpful, I'll use those cues and post a follow up. Do I need to step slightly closer to the bar so I am over midfoot, or is it just when I set my hips/back that I get thrown off?
    No, the distance is fine. It's making sure you rock back and are balanced on midfoot is the idea.

Awesome, thanks Pete. I'll work on step 4 and post a follow up video once I think I'm better.

Your belt may be part of the problem.

The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

Thanks Rip
    Funny, I read that article about 2 weeks ago, actually. I'm in the process of saving for a good 3 inch belt. I like my 4 inch (from Best belts), but I don't want to wait another 6-8 weeks before I get it. I'll get a jump on another belt soon and hopefully that corrects some of my issues.

Edit: Would you recommend I continue training with the 4" belt, or train beltless until I get my 3"?
    Last edited by Andrew Prine; 03-20-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Great stuff mate - just wanted to make sure your aware of the SS 3-inch belt that ships in 2-3 days. Starting Strength 3in Single Ply Leather Weightlifting Belt | website

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Prine View Post
    Edit: Would you recommend I continue training with the 4" belt, or train beltless until I get my 3"?
    See if you can get it set better without the belt.