starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check; failed at 265

Default squat form check; failed at 265

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hi; I'm 5'9, 175 lbs, 44 years old (male), a consistent exerciser but new to the standard lifts and started novice LP in Jan. I've added about .5-1.0 lbs per week to my body. My squat has increased from 185 but I seem to be stalling out at 265/270. I will post my failure at 265 and my follow up set using 245. I had been making 5 lb jumps per session but have failed 3x at 265 or 270 in a similar manner and wonder how much of it is form. and I had rested 6 minutes prior to set I failed on. 2 weeks ago I did 265 3x5, then failed at 270, so backed down to 255 and came back up. Appreciate the help. Thanks, Rob

265: failed. YouTube

245: successful: YouTube

Morning Rob. I think you've got more in you but we need to address some form issues. You are very upright and need to lean over more (can you see how your back angle never really changes?). Really think about pushing your hips back right from the start. This will probably require taking a bit of weight off the bar but just really focus on getting bent over more by pushing your hips back on your warm-up sets and see what you can do. I will also note that while the video is at a poor angle to tell for sure I'm guessing your stance is a little wide and your knees are caving inward. When you take your stance make sure your heels are about shoulder width and then turn your toes our 15-30 degrees. Best of luck!

Thanks Kevin.
    I narrowed my stance a bit and felt like i wasn't getting the knee valgus cave which has been a problem. Appreciate the eye for that. I lowered the bar a bit more on my back too. I did a bunch of warm ups decided to see what I could max today. I hit 315 and bonked at 325.

YouTube

Do not post clearly above-parallel squats on these forums. Look at the video before you post it. Learn what depth is. If it is high, do not post it.

The 1RM attempt is way way high.

starting strength coach development program
    appreciate the feedback; the learning continues.