starting strength gym

Thread: Power Snatch 95

Default Power Snatch 95

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

Is it just me, or was rep 2 way better than rep 1 and rep 3?

Is the reason I had to dance to keep my balance after rep 3 racked because I popped before the bar had reached the right position? If not, can anybody tell what caused that rep to be so out of wack?

Thanks!

Your grip is too narrow. Keep your shoulders in front of the bar until it passes the knees.

Hello,

I second Gallon's advice. A wider grip will keep the bar closer to your chest, which will help the lockout. Pushing your elbows a bit further back will also help, although that's not easy. You are basically required to keep the arms locked until the final explosion, then bend them back as far as possible while the bar passes in front of you, then straighten them again to lock the bar overhead. It takes a bit of practice to issue all these mental command with the right timing, but you've got start somewhere.

I would also add that you need to sit down more when receiving the bar. Right now, once your feet have landed and your torso is set, the bar is still a far bit off the end of the movement.
    So what you do is a combination of pressing up/swinging back the arms to complete the final, arched part of the trajectory. IMHO, in the third rep, your swinging was excessive, and the bar went too far back, which forced you to move to save the lift.
    By crouching down more, you will be able to catch the bar at the right height, without the need to swing. Also, you will be able to catch with arms locked, which is how it should be done according to the rules (although at this stage it's not that important).

Hope this helps,

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by gallon_of_cheese_a_day View Post
    Your grip is too narrow. Keep your shoulders in front of the bar until it passes the knees.
    So im not exploding from the wrong position,but rather the back angle when the bar is in the right position is wrong, which is because im not leaned far over enough, which is because the grip is too narrow? How many inches should it widen by?

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    So im not exploding from the wrong position,but rather the back angle when the bar is in the right position is wrong, which is because im not leaned far over enough, which is because the grip is too narrow? How many inches should it widen by?
    No, widening the grip will make this task even more difficult. Here's a useful video: YouTube

The two things GOCAD recommended are two totally unrelated suggestions...

Widening the grip effectively shortens the vertical aspect of your arm "length".
    You are going have to either: bend over more and/or do something different with your set-up, start stance, knees, etc.
    As far as idea grip width, one school of thought is the grip should be wide enough to where while standing, the bar is right around (or in) your hip crease.
    (1:28 in the SS video linked) ...higher or lower a bit depends on some other factors. If you have trouble getting into a decent start position, err towards a narrower grip
    to get yourself some more "arm length".
    The wider the grip, the higher the bar will be at the top of the pulling phase; and also the bar will not to go as high in the catch/lockout.

Keeping your shoulders slightly in front of the bar is general "master cue" of sorts for the snatch and clean.
    Most people get behind the bar too soon in the pull, muting the pull, throwing balance off, and wrecking bar path...a whole host of problems.
    But yeah, exploding to soon. Make the pull of the floor longer, higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    The two things GOCAD recommended are two totally unrelated suggestions...

Widening the grip effectively shortens the vertical aspect of your arm "length".
    You are going have to either: bend over more and/or do something different with your set-up, start stance, knees, etc.
    As far as idea grip width, one school of thought is the grip should be wide enough to where while standing, the bar is right around (or in) your hip crease.
    (1:28 in the SS video linked) ...higher or lower a bit depends on some other factors. If you have trouble getting into a decent start position, err towards a narrower grip
    to get yourself some more "arm length".
    The wider the grip, the higher the bar will be at the top of the pulling phase; and also the bar will not to go as high in the catch/lockout.

Keeping your shoulders slightly in front of the bar is general "master cue" of sorts for the snatch and clean.
    Most people get behind the bar too soon in the pull, muting the pull, throwing balance off, and wrecking bar path...a whole host of problems.
    But yeah, exploding to soon. Make the pull of the floor longer, higher.
    Okay, thanks! Can you tell me how these look? YouTube

Okay, thanks! Can you tell me how these look? YouTube
    these are power cleans now?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    these are power cleans now?
    Yeah, I'm trying to learn both at the same time.