starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’m 35, 192lb, 5’10” and this is my 11th week of LP. My 5RM on squat is currently 260lb. The past 2 workouts I have attempted 265x5x3 and failed on the 5th rep of the first set both times. After that I did 2 sets of 4 and a set of 3 to try and get the same volume/tonnage. Here’s the first 2 sets from this morning:

265x4-fail: YouTube

265x4: YouTube

First, how is my form? It’s been a while since I had a check, so I want to make sure the stall isn’t caused by bad form.

Second, I feel like this weight is too light for me to be finishing up LP. I would like to at least get above 300. Any tips on what I should do from here? I know about Rip’s 3 questions, I am eating around 3000 cal/day with at least 220 g of protein. I’ve been doing 5 lb jumps for a long time. I rest at least 5 mins between work sets. Sleep is a challenge sometimes, but I get 5-6 hrs of good sleep consistently (not enough, but that is hard to fix). I’ve been dealing with some work & home stress that may be affecting recovery.

Sorry for the lengthy post. My thought is to keep pushing forward for 2-3 more workouts. If this doesn’t work, maybe try a small reset on the squat. I dunno, any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!!

This is a simple form error, not a sticking point: you are lifting your chest instead of staying in your hips, and it clearly begins on #2 in the first video. See all the videos and read all the material we have provided about this.

Thanks for the critique Rip! For some reason this is hard for me to catch when watching my own videos, and easy to forget about as the weight gets heavier for me. I'll work on hip drive out of the bottom, and staying in the hips for as long as I can going up. I'll post another video in a week or so. Thanks again.