starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check - 275 x 5 (Volume Day)

Default Squat Form Check - 275 x 5 (Volume Day)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello!

Can you guys take a look on my last set of 275 x 5 x 5 Volume Day? I would be glad!

Link: YouTube

Get bent over and get your knees set earlier. Don't let them move at the bottom. Right now your bottom position is soft, and you're rocking onto your toes.
    Toes out a bit.
    I can't say much about some of the other stuff due to the all black attire.

Your toes look like they're pointed forward too much, you should be pointed at 30 degrees sideways. You're definitely too upright and you're not shoving your knees out nearly enough. I'd say your stance is probably a smidge too narrow. And it looks like you're going 2-3" too far below parallel here.

The bigger question here is why do you think you should be on intermediate programming? How long have you been lifting, what did your LP look like, etc? You're close to divebombing these and bouncing up like it's a warm up weight. I'd put you weighing around 175 lbs, if that's close then you didn't run a NLP if you're doing 5 sets at 275. The speed at which you're moving the bar alone makes me think this is too light a weight. Even if this is your first set and your fifth gets way slower, I'd be shocked if you didn't have linear gains still in you. Until you question everything about your existence on the last rep of a 3x5 you're probably not best suited to intermediate programming, you're doing what intermediate lifters NEED to do to make gains when you still have relatively easy linear gains still in you.

Thanks for advices, I will work on those! Well, to be honest I returned to lifting from like a year of not lifting at all so I thought that I should get on Intermediate program. Do you think I should go back to LP and keep doing squats 3x5 three times a week untill I hit "a wall"?

Definitely go back to LP. Like without a doubt. Go until you can't anymore and make sure you're answering the first three questions before you decide that the wall has been hit.

Thank you so much but I have one morr question. I want to start in my first powerlifting meet in September. Should I make some changes when the meet is getting closer or just keep progressing in LP style?

You'll likely be through your LP by then and onto intermediate programming, but if not, then don't change anything. There's some threads on the forum of how to use your lifts in LP for powerlifting meets.

I understand and I will looo for those threads.

I did my squats today for 3 sets of 5 with 280. I set up like you said and... it felt awkward on descending. Way up was easier because I am already using hip drive. Also I felt less power in this stance and more horizontal position.

In the last set I switch to my normal medium-narrow stance, with toes pointed a little more forward. I feel like I can generate more power in that position. I did my 450 lbs PR like this.

Am I doing something wrong with new stance?

@offtopic
    Can squats cause elbow pain during bench and press?

It's hard to say why it may have been awkward without a video to review, but pretty much any time you change from one form to another it's not going to feel as familiar as the previous form. The book goes into great detail about why that position is better due to the body mechanics and changes in anatomy. If you felt less power in this position, it could be because the muscles that you should have been using all along (i.e. adductors) have been neglected due to your form. I'm guessing in your normal squats you pretty much never feel anything in the groin area or inside of the thighs, and with a wider stance and toes pointed out that you did. Correct?

starting strength coach development program
    Correct. I will film myself tomorrow and post it here for your opinion, okay?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast