I've been coaching my son's Special Olympics powerlifting team the last couple years, and we're basically following SS to coach them. Things have gone pretty well, but I have one new issue that I can't figure out, and I'd like to ask for some input.

When one of the lifters does the bench press, as the weight gets heavier (by that, I mean the last warm-up set, and the work sets), he lets his right (non-dominant) hand drop down towards his hips, so that the bar is now skewed and not perpendicular to his body. This is a new thing, and I'll be darned if I can figure out why he's doing it, or good queues to get him to correct it. And the net result is, his current work sets are about 20 pounds less than last year, and for less reps, because by the third rep, he can't overcome the imbalance of the weight.

We've gone through a few issues like this over the last couple years, but we've always been able to eventually overcome it, with the right prompts and queues, so I'm sure there's a way to fix this. I'm also becoming convinced that I'm probably not smart enough to figure it out on my own

Also, I just wanted to thank Rip for SS. Following the book, we've been able to make the top lift at state for the last two years in squat and deadlift for our two best lifters, and plenty of gold medals for the other athletes. And it hasn't hurt me, either, LOL!