starting strength gym

Thread: Assistance Dips - Form Check Please

Default Assistance Dips - Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All,

Tried tossing in some dip assistance after the main SS lifts. Have random pains today on my left side between where my left trap meets my neck. They come and go and I can't trigger them by moving or pressing anything. I am sure it is due to form being terrible. Could you have a look for me and let me know what I'm doing wrong? YouTube

I am most interested in doing these for tricep assistance. I've been told dips are best because you can go heavy (body weight) vs skullcrushers, but then I saw Rip's video here where he shows you how to make them heavy: YouTube

If that is a more effective tricep exercise, I will ditch the dips and do these.

It has nothing to do with your form, which is seriously limited by your strength. Dips are below parallel, as described in the blue book, which you should read. If you can't do them below parallel, they can't be used as an assistance exercise until you are strong enough to assist something else.

Yeah man. You're a novice, and novices don't do dips. Or LTEs for that matter. Focus your energy on getting your bench and press up, and your triceps will be just fine.