starting strength gym

Thread: 5x5 270lb squat check

Default 5x5 270lb squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Had issues which I did my best to correct my knees sliding forward I realised my knees was not been shove to the side forcefully.

Quads and abducters sore today more than. Usually.

So knees shoved to the sides like frog and sit down in the space between and bending at waist

YouTube

These look very good.

Not a technique question, but just curious why you're doing 5 sets. You look like you're moving that weight pretty good, are you sure you need to be on 5 sets instead of just running an LP at 3 sets? I'm not trying to be a dick here, just legitimately curious about your training history since just by looks alone (you look strong) I would have thought you'd be in the mid 300s before moving to intermediate programming.

Fantastic! Worked hard to correct these.

My abducters are sore .....which leads me to believe I wasn't using them at all during decent knees out.....many thanks

I have extensive history at one point I got to 405lb 2x3 I moved into block training man that was the biggest mistake in terms of training although I did gain a lot of muscle mass during hyptrophy block; strength block I got really weak for some reason. I was early intermediate at best and should have continued TM Now I am back to MED style of training Texas method 4 day.

The positive side of accumulation is it taught me volume I Can easily recover from 5x5 TM. At one point I was doing 16 sets of squats a week with 250lb+ while deloading every 5-6 weeks.

Since coming back to Texas method I can easily handle volume and recover. I am now sticking MED style of training advocated here for rest of my training career hopefully looking to compete soon just got my BP(British powerlifting/ipf affiliated) membership card.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice-man View Post
    I have extensive history at one point I got to 405lb 2x3 I moved into block training man that was the biggest mistake in terms of training although I did gain a lot of muscle mass during hyptrophy block; strength block I got really weak for some reason. I was early intermediate at best and should have continued TM Now I am back to MED style of training Texas method 4 day.

The positive side of accumulation is it taught me volume I Can easily recover from 5x5 TM. At one point I was doing 16 sets of squats a week with 250lb+ while deloading every 5-6 weeks.

Since coming back to Texas method I can easily handle volume and recover. I am now sticking MED style of training advocated here for rest of my training career hopefully looking to compete soon just got my BP(British powerlifting/ipf affiliated) membership card.
    You are impressive.

I am doing a modified texas method now, thinking of switching to 4 day though.

Can i ask, what exactly is your 4 day setup?

To be honest the best and most effective Texas method is the one with just main lifts. Bench, Prsss, Squat, Deadlift, maybe some chins and later on when upper body stagnate maybe some LTE.

WHAT RIP HAS BEEN ADVOCATING FOR YEARS ! IS 100% CORRECT the more you add rows/ arms etc etc the more its eating into your recovery demands. If you are smart you can keep deadlifting into 500lb while just cycling intensities. Adding more pulling volume can be again causing extra recovery demands.

Also for me single joint movement have never really had carryover to the.main lifts?

Get a copy of PPST 3RD!!
    4 day split TEXAS METHOD. GO THROUGH PHASE 1 AND 2 BACK AND FORTH FOR SEVERAL CYCLES THEN HIT PHASE 3 that alone should last at least a year or 2 for most trainees. Once that stops working THEN change excersise selection for example CGB DEFICITS DL RACK PULLS PAUSED LB SQUATS ETC make sure they are barbell work etc read the book definitely.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    These look very good.
    Hi mark

Switched to phase 2 "running it out" how are these looking in terms of hip drive

Focusing on tightness on way down and hip drive out of the hole.

Many thanks again PPST 3rd edition is a great read all I need really for self programming. Will there ever be a follow up?

YouTube