starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube

I've decided to go a few steps back to correct the knees caving in and other form issues on my squat and dropped it to 30kg and will now go up a little bit each workout while perfecting my form.
    I can't see much wrong besides heels coming up a little bit, what do you guys think?

I'd like to touch a bit more on those heels coming off the ground as well, is just streching the ankles and achieveing more dorsiflexion going to fix the problem or is there something else I should do?

YouTube
    It's been a session later, and after watching all of the videos (rewatching some) I made some adjustments. The only thing I'm not doing is looking down beacuse that makes me tilt forward and the bar path becomes distorted, this way I think it's a lot better for me personally.
    I feel like the technique has improved quite a bit, but is there anything else that could be corrected?
    Thank you!

What Rip was trying to help you realize, is that you were high bar squatting. Not sure what adjustments you made, besides deciding you're the special snowflake for whom an incorrect eye gaze is superior, but you're still high bar squatting. Your bar path moves forwards because you're squatting incorrectly and crashing into your knees at the bottom, not because of where you're looking. Watch your heels lifting off the ground in both videos.

Since your first video was titled Stronglifts 5x5 squats, I'm assuming you haven't read the book. If you're actually interested in learning how to low bar squat and getting strong, you should.

As soon as you start your squat, knees out, ass back, and nipples pointed at the floor. Not sure if you feel like you were bending over more in your second video, but if so, do it more. Think about shoving your knees out and reaching back, not down, with your ass as you descend. Drive your ass straight up out of the hole as if there's a chain attached to it. Currently you're rebounding off your knees and leading with your chest. ISome people like to imagine the bar is balanced on your butt, and that's what you have to use to lift it.

And look down. The whole time. Seriously.