starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Critique and Missed Rep / Set Advice

Default Squat Critique and Missed Rep / Set Advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a 27 y/o male weighing 245 at 6'2" with 295 on the bar. My 285 sets look good, but this set was clearly too much for me. I let my breath go way too early getting the bar out of the rack, I divebomb my second rep, and my head reflexively comes up when I start grinding my on my last reps.

I've got two questions: because these reps were so awful should I deload and work my way back up, try the weight again, or continue my progression (I got all 3 sets in, technically didn't miss any reps), and was there anything else glaringly wrong with my form?

I've taken weight off the bar and focused on keeping my vision focused 4 - 5 ft in front of me (little difficult with a mirror, might end up finding something to block it) and pushing up with my hips (boing, imagining the weight on my waistband). Do these look any better?

Apologies in advance for the wardrobe malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Shaved a few inches off my depth here while keeping the aforementioned advice in mind.

Hips are breaking before knees. Your back is not set before you descend; you sort of snap it into place. Your ass gets thrown back to start the movement.

The biggest thing is that instead of leaning over, you are cranking your elbows up, tucking your chin, and “coming over the top” going into upper back flexion. I’ve struggled with that form error for a long time and I understand that the SSCs see it a lot.

You’ll probably need to look at a spot on the floor much further out than you are now, really focus on keeping your chin up, and squeezing the shit out of your whole back before you start the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Hips are breaking before knees. Your back is not set before you descend; you sort of snap it into place. Your ass gets thrown back to start the movement.

The biggest thing is that instead of leaning over, you are cranking your elbows up, tucking your chin, and “coming over the top” going into upper back flexion. I’ve struggled with that form error for a long time and I understand that the SSCs see it a lot.

You’ll probably need to look at a spot on the floor much further out than you are now, really focus on keeping your chin up, and squeezing the shit out of your whole back before you start the movement.
    Any advice for breaking at the knees and hips simultaneously? I know it sounds stupid, but that's probably been the biggest issue for me since I've started.

I'll deload and take your advice Sunday, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by D0sten View Post
    Any advice for breaking at the knees and hips simultaneously? I know it sounds stupid, but that's probably been the biggest issue for me since I've started.
    (Not a coach or an expert so take this with a grain of salt). I'm struggling with the same issue and have been for a while. One thing that helped me on my last session was to focus on setting my knees in their final position right away and not specifically cueing the hips.

I had to slow down the whole movement and it took a while to feel natural because I felt like I wasn't getting bent over far enough or fast enough but eventually it started to click.

If someone else has a better cue I'll be eager to hear it as well.

Your two main issues are getting the upper back set, like Satch mentioned, and getting leaned over more and sooner.
    Getting the elbows down and upper back tight will give you confidence in getting leaned over sooner. Getting leaned over sooner will keep the knees from over-traveling as you approach the bottom.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric May View Post
    (Not a coach or an expert so take this with a grain of salt). I'm struggling with the same issue and have been for a while. One thing that helped me on my last session was to focus on setting my knees in their final position right away and not specifically cueing the hips.

I had to slow down the whole movement and it took a while to feel natural because I felt like I wasn't getting bent over far enough or fast enough but eventually it started to click.

If someone else has a better cue I'll be eager to hear it as well.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try this upcoming workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Your two main issues are getting the upper back set, like Satch mentioned, and getting leaned over more and sooner.
    Getting the elbows down and upper back tight will give you confidence in getting leaned over sooner. Getting leaned over sooner will keep the knees from over-traveling as you approach the bottom.
    Is part of getting my upper back set the "proud chest" cue? i.e. should the red line here be straight(er)?

1.jpg

If so, I think this article may help and I'll learn from it:

Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast