starting strength gym

Thread: Squats from check - Trying to squat again after a lumbar injury

Post Squats from check - Trying to squat again after a lumbar injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Details about the injury: Lower back stiffness and hip pain. MRI pics and doctor advice included.

I went very light: 5 reps with an empty bar, 40 kilos and 60 kilos. My back feels better but I still didn't want to risk anything.

Video:

Looks like a very good high-bar squat. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Looks like a very good high-bar squat. Carry on.
    20170816_1.jpg
    cevik-bir_249841 (1).jpg

The first photo is taken from an article of Niki Sims on StartingStrength.com. The second one is mine. Aren't our back angles and depth pretty much the same? What makes mine a high-bar squat?

Mr. Rippetoe, I really want to get "big and strong" as you always tell us to be, but I already bulged a disc, didn't really get that strong, increased my BFR by 10% and don't want to make things worse by damaging another disc, for the rest of my life, at this early age of mine. What is it that I need to be emphasize more during the squats?

Hey Gorkem
    You need to lean over a bit more, keep your eyes on the ground a few feet out, and drive up with the hips from the bottom. You do a better job driving up with the hips on the last set, but we usually only look at the first set posted, and that's where you were too upright and without hip drive.
    Just post one top set of 5 going forward.