starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Post Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had to take the belt off during the set because it felt uncomfortable. That's why I edited the video to make it shorter.

My main concern is if there's something wrong with my deadlifts that could harm the disc between L5-S1. I have a slight bulge there.

Also my latest set of squats where I did my best to keep my lumbar extended and my back angle horizontal at the same time and probably failed with both.

I also think that I have a butt wink and from what I've read on the internet butt winks are especially bad for the L5-S1 disc.

Your deadlift is a nice beginner deadlift. You aren't floating the weight before lifting. Pull the slack out and then lift with feet flat on the floor. They should not be going back and forth.

Your squat bar path is all over the place. You need to keep the bar mid foot. You can tell something is wrong as you are losing your balance. Again, as the weight gets heavier you will find it easier to find that midfoot groove.

Hopefully a coach will step in and set this straight better.

-Intermed Trainee-

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Brooklyn View Post
    Your deadlift is a nice beginner deadlift. You aren't floating the weight before lifting. Pull the slack out and then lift with feet flat on the floor. They should not be going back and forth.

Your squat bar path is all over the place. You need to keep the bar mid foot. You can tell something is wrong as you are losing your balance. Again, as the weight gets heavier you will find it easier to find that midfoot groove.

Hopefully a coach will step in and set this straight better.

-Intermed Trainee-
    Thanks. When is it that I'm losing my balance? During the descent or right at the bottom?

With regards to your squat, the bar path is shifting forward of midfoot as you descend into the hole. Your knees are creeping forward in the hole. So, shove your knees out, keep them in the same place 1/3rd-1/2 way down the descent and sit back hard.

From my untrained eye, you definitely do not have "butt-wink" or any noticeable loss of lumbar extension in the hole.

I only looked at your squat.
    Lock your eyes on the ground and keep them there.
    You also need to lean over more and stay leaned over as you lead out of the bottom with your hips rather than lifting your eyes and chest.
    Depth is too close on some of these.
    What looks like lumbar flexion in the bottom is the result of you starting with the lumbar spine a bit over-extended at the top. It goes to neutral in the bottom.
    To summarize.
    Buy some weightlifting shoes as soon as you get the chance.
    Start with a neutral low back and brace from there.
    Get your eyes locked.
    Lean over more.
    Get deeper.
    Drive up with the hips.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    I only looked at your squat.
    Lock your eyes on the ground and keep them there.
    You also need to lean over more and stay leaned over as you lead out of the bottom with your hips rather than lifting your eyes and chest.
    Depth is too close on some of these.
    What looks like lumbar flexion in the bottom is the result of you starting with the lumbar spine a bit over-extended at the top. It goes to neutral in the bottom.
    To summarize.
    Buy some weightlifting shoes as soon as you get the chance.
    Start with a neutral low back and brace from there.
    Get your eyes locked.
    Lean over more.
    Get deeper.
    Drive up with the hips.
    Thanks sir. So what I percieved as a butt wink or lumbar flexion was not what it seemed like. I'm overextending my lumbar spine and it's just going back to normal extension, right?