starting strength gym

Thread: Week 1 workout 3 - squat form check please

Default Week 1 workout 3 - squat form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I’m 41, 6’ 2” (was 6’ 3” but after 20 years of a desk job, have ended up with a kyphotic spine which has taken an inch off).

Discovered starting strength about a month ago via another program I’d started having not lifted weights for 20 years - my aims are to regain that inch of height and get stronger. I like the idea of voluntary hardship and becoming a more useful person too!

I’ve read the book(s), bought the shoes, and just finished my third workout and recorded a video of my last working squat set of 170.5X5.

Any feedback will be gratefully received. I’ve spent so much time reading the blue book, listening to barbell logic, watching SS videos on YouTube etc. that I get under the bar and my brain is running through every single cue possible it doesn’t know what to process first.

YouTube

Thanks

Simon
    Last edited by Simon White; 05-01-2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Corrected link

YouTube

Now with link to actual video - sorry no idea where that other link came from and I haven’t worked out how to edit my post!

Hey Simon, congrats on getting back under the bar. Couple of things, read this article and watch these videos:

Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

YouTube (bend over when you squat)

YouTube (How to squat with Rippetoe)

There is a few issues with your squat: 1) I suspect you are squatting high bar, hard to tell 2) Slow your descent down 3) Your squatting too deep (rep 2) 4) Your back is going into thoracic flexion.

With your age and lack of recent strength training, might not be a bad idea to deload by 10% and tighten up the form issues. Also, please read the sticky on posting videos.
    Last edited by Mike Troxell; 04-28-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for taking the time to check my form video and provide all that advice and information. I’ll work through those points and see how I get on.

I’ve got the bar in the low bar position (just below the spine of my scapulas) but it seems the bar looks higher due to the amount of thoracic flexion I have (even in standing). I will try an even lower position and see how that works for me.

I’ve been through the sticky on posting videos, so will make sure any future ones I post follow the guidelines.

Thanks again

Simon