starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check - 270

Default Squat Form Check - 270

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Again!

My last checkup was here. Since then I have tried to focus on getting bent over more/sooner and shoving my knees out. When I watched the video it looks like my depth may be borderline at best. A couple of sessions ago I took videos from the side and it looked lower, so not sure if it is a camera angle thing, or just a heavier weight and I'm cutting it off too soon, but I'll keep an eye on this.

Also got the camera angle more to 45 degrees as suggested by Satch12879 in the last post. Out of sheer laziness I simply moved the pins to the other side of the rack in order to get the better angle, although I don't think the rack was intended to work this way... It felt a bit disorienting facing this way, as well.

I am looking forward to attending the SS squat & deadlift camp in Baltimore in June, so I'm sure the immediate feedback from SS coaches will be very beneficial. Everyone's advice here has also helped me out so I figured i would try to work out some more kinks prior to the training camp.

Thanks in advance!

It looks like your stance is too wide, and it's making it a lot harder to get your knees out and hit depth. Move in each heel about 1-2 inches. Enjoy the camp! They'll have these fixed in no time!

Thanks for the reply Brian! I’ll move in my heels a bit on my next workout.

Do not post clearly above-parallel squats on these forums. This wastes the forum's time and it is the most basic responsibility you have if you're going to train using this method. Look at the video before you post it. Learn what depth is. If it is high, do not post it.

Rip, your forums, your rules, but assuming you're talking about the video in this thread, and not the one in link to his last checkup, isn't that a bit harsh?

Part of learning to squat (which this guy is clearly trying to do) is developing an eye for the movement, and I honestly don't think he's that far above parallel that it would be obvious to him.

One of the main reasons behind his post was to find out if his depth was lacking.

You're right, spacediver. It's clearly too much to ask that a person read the book, watch the videos, and identify the most basic aspect of squatting to the extent that he can see it in his own video before he posts it to the board. I clearly owe the man an apology for asking him to perform this simple task and assume a little responsibility for learning some of this on his own. It's certainly the first time I've ever required it of anybody, and it's just not fair. I am ashamed of my hatred, misogyny, white privilege, and haughty attitude towards the people using this board to get coaching for free. I shall try to do better.

these two reps here look fine (reps 4 and 5).

the others were close

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're right, spacediver. It's clearly too much to ask that a person read the book, watch the videos, and identify the most basic aspect of squatting to the extent that he can see it in his own video before he posts it to the board. I clearly owe the man an apology for asking him to perform this simple task and assume a little responsibility for learning some of this on his own. It's certainly the first time I've ever required it of anybody, and it's just not fair. I am ashamed of my hatred, misogyny, white privilege, and haughty attitude towards the people using this board to get coaching for free. I shall try to do better.
    Vintage Rip. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have no disagreement with the principle here. I also detest the laziness and entitlement of those who expect high quality help for free without putting in effort and some respect.

If there are aspects of their form that deviate from the standard enough that it should have been obvious to them (whether it's depth, or some other aspect), then your response would make sense.

I'm just having a hard time seeing how this is such a case.

squatdepth.jpg

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Velazquez View Post
    Vintage Rip. LOL
    Got to love a guy who trolls his own website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast