starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check 68kg x 5

Smile Squat form check 68kg x 5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello guys, happy to be part of the forum. Even though english is not my mother tongue I've read the book, watched several SS videos concerning the squat and decided to start the program. After numerous errors/issues for several weeks I think I've got the main stuff fairly well but I'm still not too sure about it as I don't have an expert eye.

Now I am still adjusting to the hip drive and try to straighten my torso at the top (after having leaned forward on descend) while while maintaining the balance over midfoot.
    I am also struggling to achieve straight wrist grip which I think is preventing me to stand up straighter at the top but I am working on it (executing shoulder flexibility exercises).

I don't really feel a lot of glute soreness so Im probably doing something wrong. What would you say are some things I need to work on?

Thank you so much

aldwyn

Quite a few form issues with your squat, start here: YouTube

When you are done, read this: Squat Mechanics | Mark Rippetoe

Work on getting the bar in the correct position, it looks high to me? Also, your grip is incorrect. Shoulder inflexibility is very common, try this: YouTube

Work on your low bar form and re-post. Good luck.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your input.

As I already said in the first post, I'm working on the grip but its going to take weeks to achieve it.
    I think I have the correct bar position - firmly wedged just below my shoulder muscles and on the shelfs. I'll try and lower it 1-2cm further down and see it how it goes/feels.
    Do you notice anything else that needs improving? Hip drive? Back Angle? Depth? I've seen and read these links but reading and understanding is one thing - executing is another.

PS: Also I find it bizarre that my squat is lagging so far behind my deadlift, which is 110kg...

You need to slow down the descent, you are dive bombing. Lean over more, a very popular cue is "point your nipples at the floor." Stand straight, you are leaning over quite a bit prior to starting the squat. "Big chest," then start the movement, consistency is very important. Move your eye gaze further out, it looks like you are staring at the ground in-front of your feet.

You need to work on the grip, review the horn stretch and use the proper grip every time. Again, staying consistent and establishing the movement patterns early is very important. Errors in set-up will lead to error in the movement. Again, I would check the bar position; "straight wrist grip which I think is preventing me to stand up straighter at the top," the bar is not secure if you feel you need to lean over.

Keep doing the program, your DL/squat weights will get closer. 15lb weekly increase in the squat vs 10lb in the deadlift after the power clean is added. In theory, they should close 20lbs every 4-weeks.
    Last edited by Mike Troxell; 05-14-2019 at 05:58 PM.

Hello again!
    Here's a video of my new squat session.

So straight to the point:
    Grip - again, I'm working on the straight wrist grip. I've been doing the horn stretch for a month and I can almost achieve the correct grip but I get extreme pain in my elbows as soon as I stand up even with an EMPTY bar whilst trying to keep my elbows up. I read HERE that if I have poor mobility I can use wrist wraps so I might try that. Keeping my wrists in flexion so far has been more or less comfortable enough.
    Bar position: I tried lowering the bar 1-2cm but I think it moved up my back at some point around the bottom. It's either a wrong bar position or I've leaned more than I had to. I'm still pretty sure my previous bar position was correct - the bar was secure enough then and the reason I didnt want to straighten at the top was because the weight of the bar would fall on my elbows, which brings us back to the grip I suppose.
    Does my latest session look better or worse?
    Thank you for your input!