starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi All,

Posting two videos of me high-bar squatting.

It feels more natural to me than low bar squatting and I find low squatting puts a lot of stress on my shoulders on elbows. I seem to have poor shoulder mobility and struggle to get my wrists over the bar.

I was a bit disappointed by the squat depth, as when I normally film myself I go below parallel, but I seem to be just parallel in the below videos. Anyway let me know what you think about my technique. Thanks.

Video slightly angled: YouTube

Video from the side: YouTube

Why are you posting this here?

Hi Mark,

I would like my squat technique to be critiqued so I can improve. I think it looks okay overall, but you guys are the experts...

Like you already observed, it's a high-bar squat with shitty depth and bad mechanics. That's all we'll say, and you already know.

Does that mean there is not anything else notable about my form that could be improved?

Everything could be improved, but as you patiently explained in the OP, you prefer to do them inefficiently. Have fun with your training!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Everything could be improved, but as you patiently explained in the OP, you prefer to do them inefficiently. Have fun with your training!
    Fair play, I like your brutal honestly.

To be honest, I would squat low bar, but it always gives me elbow issues.

I'm pretty certain the reason I get sensitive elbows is that I don't get my arm over the bar. That mobility has always been a problem for me.

But over the next coming month's I'll endeavour to transition to low bar.

I know you want to keep your arms as close to your body as possible to create a shelf and remain solid, but is there an acceptable leeway with how far wide I place my hands. I suspect there will have to be a compromise with hand width to low bar squat and avoid elbow issues.

Cheers