starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check, having some lower back pain

Default Squat form check, having some lower back pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    squat GIF | Find, Make & Share Gfycat GIFs

The pain is mostly around my sacrum like right above my butt. I know in the past from form checks and working with a coach, I have a tendency to sit back maybe a tad too much which puts more pressure on my lower back? People have also commented on my upper back rounding in the past. Maybe those issues are at play here. I tried to focus really hard on keeping my back in extension, by squeezing my shoulder blades together.Am I leaning too far forward?

To me the bar looks too high on your back.
    Fix that first and get the bar tight on your back (try to bend the bar in half)
    Do that so you can focus on your mid foot
    (Some of the reps the bar is not moving in a straight line)

This is a terrible camera angle.

One issue is at play here: your knees are not shoved out. Shove them out, get your torso down between your thighs. This will help your lower back stay unrounded.

The bar position is wrong, and you are trying to stay too upright. Shove your knees out, get your hips back and your nipples down.

See Rip's article:

Active Hip 2.0: The Directors’ Cut | Mark Rippetoe and stef bradford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    To me the bar looks too high on your back.
    Fix that first and get the bar tight on your back (try to bend the bar in half)
    You are correct about the bar position, but trying to bend the bar in half is a good way to get elbow pain.

Thanks I was unaware of that, appreciate the feed back. I wasn’t exactly sure but now I do see trying to say to upright and knees not out.

Nothing I can add re: your form ... but that idiot in the background trying to make sure that his plates on the deadlift bar are indeed round and can roll has certainly made my day.

starting strength coach development program
    Your elbows are very high, and probably your upper back is not tight. Watch this: YouTube
    I like to think this way: You should be dominant over the bar, not the contrary. Fix your elbows and then address other issues.